Author Topic: Robert Meggison family of Morpeth, Northumberland  (Read 2272 times)

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Robert Meggison family of Morpeth, Northumberland
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 13:41 BST (UK) »
Looking for the family of Robert Meggison of Morpeth, Northumberland in 1844.  I have a letter which mentions children Ann, Jane, Mary, George, Robert, and James with James being the youngest and only one at home.   Ann is in Newcastle, Jane is in Corlodge near Gouforth Gate, Mary is near Morpeth, George is in Morpeth, Robert is in Sunderland.  There is also mention of Nancy (probably sister), Margaret (deceased sister), deceased parents in Sedgefield, also George and Thomas in Sheffield (probably brothers) and Oswald (probably brother).  Can anyone help me with this.
My ggg grandfather is Thomas Meggison, related to this family, supposedly born in Sheffield in 1781 and emigrated to Canada about 1800 and married Agathe Louzen in 1805.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline shazzi_b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Meggison family of Morpeth, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 05 21:14 BST (UK) »
Peggy

Can you give me a little more detail?  where did you find the information you have quoted?  Was it from a census, or family records?  do you have approx DOBs for the children ?

Only guessing, but I would think Jane was probably in coxlodge, near Gosforth.

Sharon
Northumberland - Addison, Bowles, Kirkup, Lowes, Mason, Patterson, Richley, Venus, Wardle, Williams
Durham - Pears, Robertson, Richley, richelieu, Summerell
Norfolk and Essex - Bowles, Ninham, Wiseman
Glos - Summerell, Williams

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Meggison family of Morpeth, Northumberland
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 April 05 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you for replying.  The information was from a handwritten letter written by the above-mentioned Robert Meggison of Morpeth to his neice Catherine in Quebec, Canada dated Aug 1844.  Catherine is my gg aunt, sister to my gg grandmother.  Catherine, according to family notes not official records married her cousin Robert Meggison (another one of them!)who was born about 1802 in England, not sure where.  No parents listed on wedding certificate for either of them.
Robert signs the letter "your affectionate uncle".  We think the letter is to Catherine not her husband Robert, but the salutation is smudged so not 100% sure. As to the children mentioned, there are no ages given or DOBs.  Ann has a son 10 yr. old, and her oldest daughter is 13 as well as 2 more girls.  So Ann could have been born 33+ years sooner, so between 1800 and 1811.

Catherine's father, my ggg grandfather Thomas Meggison, was supposed to have come from Sheffield, born about 1781 but the letter mentions the wife of another Thomas Meggison living in Sheffield in 1844, as well as a George Meggison in Sheffield.  The letter mentions an aunt Nancy and two of her sons buried at Easington (Nancy died in Feb. either 1843 or 1844)  There is mention of uncle Oswald living in Sedgefield(this would be Catherine's uncle).  I would love to sort this all out.  I would like particularly to know the names of my ggg grandfather's parents but may never know.

So there you are.  I hope this helps.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland