Author Topic: Wattisfield look-up request BURROWS  (Read 5867 times)

Offline caterpillar20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wattisfield look-up request BURROWS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was working on the theory that Betsy was John Bonnett's daughter (there's an Eliza Bonnett born Q2 1848 is Risbridge that might be a match)... so...hopefully it will be possible to track down birth details for Elizabeth and Louisa Burroughs... I do have potential BMD leads, so that will be worth a go with the GRO, I reckon. I guess it will also mean a trip to the Suffolk records office to try to find a baptism for the two girls...

Offline caterpillar20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 December 10 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible for me to reframe my look-up request? Based on the information so far and a bit of digging, it looks as though there should be some relevant Burroughs/Burrows registered in Wattisfield/Stow:

It's possible that Maria's parents were William and Mary (though their ages in the 1841 census are a bit off) so they would have married some time before 1827 (and, one assumes, had more than one child)

Maria Burroughs born ca 1828 daughter of William and Mary

Elizabeth Burroughs born ca 1847 daughter of Maria

It is also possible that William Burroughs came from the area

I have seen 3 possible BMD deaths for William Burrows in Stow: 1846, 1848, 1850

And 2 possible deaths for Mary Burrows, both in 1859.

If there's any way to unpick all of this, I'd be hugely grateful for the help.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 December 10 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I don't have access to any parish records but the pilot familysearch site (http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch) has:

Maria Burroughs, born 3 April 1825, christened 2 July 1826 'Independent, Wattisfield', parents John Burroughs and Mary Ann.  I can't see any other children for the couple.

There's also a christening:
Maria Burrows, christening 11 May 1845 Wattisfield, mother Maria Burrows

but I can't see anything for Elizabeth or Louisa.

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Melza

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 August 11 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just joined Rootschat and on reading your posts on Louisa Maud BURROWS thought I would reply as I am researching her too.  Found the marriage of Louisa Maud to John W Grant in 1873 rather confusing as to her maiden name. 

I have Claude Victor GRANT b 1892 Bow London, son of Louisa and John Grant in my family tree.  He appears in the 1901 UK census as the stepson of George Mead.  Claude came out to New Zealand abt 1909.  I have Claude's marriage certificate, in 1914 Wellington N.Z., his father being John William Grant and mother Louisa Maud Bonnett.  I don't know whether this helps you but I am inclined to believe that Louisa may be the daughter of John Bonnett.

Thanks for your time in reading this.  I certainly enjoyed reading all the info you had posted.

Regards
Melza