Author Topic: Downes of Aston Warks  (Read 1854 times)

Offline pipj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Downes of Aston Warks
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm trying to find Elizabeth Downes b1872 Diddlebury Shrops, Thomas b1874 Munslow Shrops & Jane b1877 Aston Warks.
The 1881 census shows they were living at 6 Sedan Terr, Aston, Warks, but after that theres no BMD records for any of them.
Could anybody help at all please
Many thanks

indiapaleale

Re: Downes of Aston Warks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 05 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Pip,

In 1891 Jane Downes is living at home with her parents Clement and Margaret and siblings; Annie, Charles and Fanny, at 6 back of 69 Sedan Terrace, Birmingham. Clement is a Street Worker.

I believe that Thomas and Elizabeth Downes had returned to Shropshire as I have found a Thomas Downes, age 15, born in Muslow and working as a servant in Highfield Prees, Shropshire.

I have also found an Elizabeth Downes, age 16, born Munslow, working as a servant in Stanton Long, Shropshire.

Now, there is a Thomas Downes who married a Lucy Elizabeth Clarke in the December Quarter 1900  Ludlow 6a-1301

On the 1901 census Thomas and Lucy appear thus:
Holdgate, Ludlow, Shropshire
Elizabeth Howells  Wid  66  Tobacco Shop Keeper  Salop, Suffton's Batch Culmington
Frederick Howells   Gr Son  18   Groom                    Salop, Brookhampton, Holdgate
Thomas Downes Gr Son in Law 24  Engine Driver    Salop, Aston Munslow
Lucy E. Downes  G Dau  21                                      Salop, Brookhampton
John S. Downes  GGson 1 mth                                Salop, Brookhampton

I know the ages are off a bit but the censuses are not very reliable for ages.

I can't find Elizabeth...married or single on 1901 although there is an Elizabeth Downes working as a servant in Shropshire, born in Munslow aged 18! Could be an error in the age again, I suppose.

I will look and see if I can find a marriage for Jane and track her down on 1901.

Let me know if you want all the details fronm the 1891 censuses....if you think these may be your folks.

Thomas' marriage cert would prove if he was the right chap....father Clement.

Hope this has helped a bit,
Cheers,
India

Offline surculus

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Downes of Aston Warks
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 June 23 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hello pipj - old thread I realize, but just posting as a bit of long shot that you see this, as I may be able to add something of interest re the Downes family :).