Author Topic: Hugh Smith- Can't find in 1901 census  (Read 19118 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Smith- Can't find in 1901 census
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 30 December 10 10:03 GMT (UK) »
You were given a possible marriage in 1904 but that does not mean he was not married previously. Instead of running around grasping at people with the same name you will need to verify information with sources such as actual church reocrds or certificates.

Hmm i'm going to get emerald ancestors and try and get him through that as i know i'll not get to coleraine library again as it was a struggle to get my dad to take me the last few times! >:( Is there any easy way of doing this?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 December 10 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Research is not always easy but those of us who started researching before census records were online, before civil registration index was online, before PRONI wenbsite had Will details, before Coleraine Library had the church records available, before the internet and computers will appreciate how much easier Irish research is now compared to the days when you had to write letters and await replies and actually do the research yourself.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 30 December 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I have registered to emerald ancestors and he had a cival marriage in the church of ireland in bovevagh. No birth is listed and it is actually correct that he was 70 in the 1911 census!! He is from boveveagh here is the record.

Census 1851 Abstracts
Record Date    1851
Name    Hugh SMITH
Age    3
Relationship in Household    Son
Townland    Drumadreen
Parish    Bovevagh
County    Londonderry

If he is from keady why isn't he in the census!

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 December 10 10:38 GMT (UK) »
His father is called Hugh Smith aswell here is his marriage :

Record Type    Parish Marriage
Date of Marriage    26 Nov 1819
Groom Name    hugh SMITH
Bride Name    mary MCTYGART
Church    Bovevagh Presbyterian Church
Parish    Bovevagh
Civil District    Newtown Limavady
County    Londonderry

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 December 10 10:56 GMT (UK) »
This wouldn't be his father would it!https://www.familysearch.org/s/recordDetails/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpilot.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Ftrk%3A%2Ffsrs%2Frr_371966015%2Fp1&hash=HloWXpZgU9zB10k5M56iYku8TUc%253D :o He had a child at 80 if so!! Blimey

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 30 December 10 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Right i have got the family worked out here it is:

Hugh Smith married Mary in bovevagh presbyterian church in 1819 and had:

Edward Smith who married Mary in Bovevagh presbyterian church in 1843 and had:

James Smith
Thomas Smith
Hugh Smith who married Margaret Thompson in Bovevagh church of ireland in 1904 and had mary ann smith who is my g grandmother.

Does that work out???

Who is this man is that the one who is my ggg grandfather who married in 1819??

Name:Hugh Smith
Registration District:Newtownlimavady
Event Type: DEATHS
Registration Quarter and Year: 1864
Estimated Birth Year:1763
Age (at Death): 101
Mother's Maiden Name:
Film Number:101582
Volume Number:6
Page Number:653
Digital Folder Number:4200214
Image Number: 00246

He is also in the 1766 religious census!!

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_ProniNames/ResultDetails.aspx

Note they are living in the same place 200 years later! :o Thats were my g granny lived and she only died a few years ago very intresting!

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 30 December 10 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Anyone any idea if thats him??

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 30 December 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Owen,
         Are you sure that you are not grasping at straws? How do you know that the Hugh Smith in the 1911 census in Dunmore is related to the Hugh Smith of Mulkerragh and Drumadreen in the 1766 Religious Survey? As Aghadowey has pointed out in Reply 26, it is vital that you start with information that you are sure of and then work backwards, recording where you found each piece of information and how you confirmed it.
         That said you may be interested to know that I am vaguely related to the Smith family of Drumaduff and Mulkerragh and through the same Smith family to the McGlenaghan family of Drumadreen. However as I have done little research on this I cannot confirm that Hugh was of the same family. It may be worth noting that in the late 1800s the name appears to have changed to Smyth, at least for some branches.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 30 December 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Owen,
         Are you sure that you are not grasping at straws? How do you know that the Hugh Smith in the 1911 census in Dunmore is related to the Hugh Smith of Mulkerragh and Drumadreen in the 1766 Religious Survey? As Aghadowey has pointed out in Reply 26, it is vital that you start with information that you are sure of and then work backwards, recording where you found each piece of information and how you confirmed it.
         That said you may be interested to know that I am vaguely related to the Smith family of Drumaduff and Mulkerragh and through the same Smith family to the McGlenaghan family of Drumadreen. However as I have done little research on this I cannot confirm that Hugh was of the same family. It may be worth noting that in the late 1800s the name appears to have changed to Smyth, at least for some branches.

Regards

Yes i am grasping straws at the moment all i know is hugh smiths father is edward and his grandfather is hugh smith again, i am trying to find out if his grandfather is the hugh posted in the familysearch over 100 years old and who is in the 1766 religious census.

Record Type    Parish Marriage
Date of Marriage    26 Nov 1819
Groom Name    hugh SMITH
Bride Name    mary MCTYGART
Church    Bovevagh Presbyterian Church
Parish    Bovevagh
Civil District    Newtown Limavady
County    Londonderry

Name:Hugh Smith
Registration District:Newtownlimavady
Event Type: DEATHS
Registration Quarter and Year: 1864
Estimated Birth Year:1763
Age (at Death): 101
Mother's Maiden Name:
Film Number:101582
Volume Number:6
Page Number:653
Digital Folder Number:4200214
Image Number: 00246

I think this man is my hughs grandfather who married in 1819, but i am trying to connect him which is what i am trying to get help for! Are there still smiths from bovevagh i thought there were no more left as after mary ann married cummins our branch was gone are you sure??? As we definately don't exsist anymore lol.