Author Topic: Joel HELLIKER look up  (Read 5910 times)

Offline bicker

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Joel HELLIKER look up
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 January 11 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Kelly's Directory information

1894  Kelly's Directory Glastonbury

Joel Helliker, bootmaker. Wells Old Road, Glastonnbury

Edward Charles Helliker, printer. Wells Road, Glastonbury (not the Old Road)

1897 Kelly's Directory

Joel Helliker, bookmaker. Wells Old Road, Glastonbury

1902 Kelly's Directory

Mrs Louisa Helliker, shopkeeper. Wells Old Road, Glastonbury.

After this date, no further Helliker records for the town of Glastonbury, but more in Street.

Info from now is that Bove Town it situated at the top of Glastonbury High Street, at the bottom of Old Wells Road.
Somerset
Areas Bridgwater, Street, Glastonbury and surrounding Villages

Names, Whitcombe (and variations) , Diment, Mounsher, Cave

Wiltshire
Areas Pewsey, Calne
Clements, Ashton, Henly, Groves, Burgess

Kent
All, Folkestone for Punnett family
Punnett, Roalfe (and variations), Vaughan, Tuff,

Offline Me01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 March 11 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a family tree that records the direct descendant's of Joel Helliker (Boot and Shoe maker) b. 1830 Othery d. 1899 Wells m. Louisa in Meare d.1914 Wells. This record goes up to 1994.

The family tree also shows ancestor's from Joel back to Nicholas Helliker b. 1562.

This family tree is detailed on 14 A4 sheets of paper and contains some 800 individuals

I also have info on the Newick side (your previous query)

You mention David M Newick I think there is some confusion here. Why is it a delicate subject and what do you mean by "his likely status"?

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 March 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again all, for your info

SFT456

Offline Me01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 March 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this game and therefore still trying to find my way around this site. Yes I can see why it can be difficult when you reach living people. I have very little info on the Newick side but would like to trace back from Clifford John Newick. Can you help with that?

You expressed interest in Joel Helliker this is a small part taken from my family tree.

I have info on all children if you would like it but you expressed interest in the line to Newick.

Joel Helliker  (Carpenter, Wheelright, Waggon Builder, Undertaker)  (Mentioned in Kelly’s Directory) b. Oct 20th 1798 (Stoke St Gregory) d. 1876 (Othery) m. Elizabeth Tutton 8th June 1822 (Othery) born 8th June 1801 (Othery) d. 1888 (Bridgewater)
Joel and Elizabeth had 10 children Joel junior was the 4th.

Joel HELLIKER (Boot and Shoe Maker) b. 1830 (Othery) d. 1899 (Wells) m. Louisa Ames JONES (Dressmaker) Nov. 9th 1856 (St. John’s Church, Glastonbury) b. 1836 (Meare) d. 1914 (Wells)  Moved family to Glastonbury in 1869 due to Typhoid outbreak.

Joel and Louisa had 9 children Edward Charles was the 3rd.

Edward Charles Helliker (Forman Printer) b. 1863 (Othery) d.1949 m. Martha Ward JENKINS Feb 19th 1887 Chard b.1863 d. June 3rd 1946 (Moved to STREET, Somerset and started Printing and Stationers business. Published Street ‘COMET’  in 1895)
Edward and Martha had 12 children William Edward was the eldest.

William Edward Helliker Bought Dowling’s bookshop in Queens Rd, Clifton, Bristol and built up a successful  stationery business. Bombed in the Bristol blitz but rebuild. b. Feb 16th 1888 (Chepstow) d. 1973 (Bristol) m Katie Mary TUCKER 12th Jan 1918 (Bridgewater) b. 20th Feb 1891 d. 6th Dec 1965.
William and Katie Helleker had 1 child Barbara Kathleen Helliker.

Barbara Kathleen Helliker (Artist and Art teacher, Bristol)  b.Dec 26th 1919 Bridgewater d. 1994 (Bristol) m Clifford John NEWICK (Lecturer in Art Education and known as John as his father was also called Clifford) b. 30th Nov 1919 d. 9th March 1994.

I will stop here just for the moment for the reasons you mentioned in your last message.
There is much more on the Helliker side if it is of interest, including a Taylor if that is of interest.

Offline Me01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 March 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Births registered in April May and June 1938 show David M Newick's mothers name recorded as Hort.

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 March 11 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info

My late mother's maiden name was Newick, hence my interest in producing a family tree.

Clifford sen was the youngest son of 9 children of Henry Chidgey Newick b Bristol in 1849 d 23/11/1933 Bristol and Emma Dudd (m 1872) Clifford sen was b 19/10/1886 in Bristol d 1974 in Bristol. He m Marian Hildegarde Vooght in 1911. Clifford John was their only child.

Clifford John, m twice. His second being to Rosemary Oriel Coddington in 1954 in Stratford, Warks. She was b 4/5/1936 in Bangor, N Wales and d 1974 Bangor (dau of William R D & Sarah M J Williams). Clifford J had 2 boys from each m Jeremy, Christopher, Tristan and Finn

I was given to understand by another Roots Chatter that Barbara Kathleen m again to an Alfred Douglas Biggs in 1959 Bristol. Barbara d in 1994 Bristol as Barbara K Biggs inferring the first m ended in divorce. A Barbara K Newick/Biggs appear on Ancestry. However you say she d in 1945 Bristol. Can you give me the ref for her d

Meanwhile I shall be pleased to hear from you as regards Taylor (my own name) or any more Newicks and can pass on more to you if that is your interest

SFT456

Offline Me01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 March 11 09:42 GMT (UK) »
HELLIKER to TAYLOR
Joel Helliker  (Carpenter) Wheelright, Waggon Builder, Undertaker  (Mentioned in Kelly’s Directory) b. Oct 20th 1798 (Stoke St Gregory) d. 1876 (Othery) m. Elizabeth Tutton 8th June 1822 (Othery) born 8th June 1801 (Othery) d. 1888 (Bridgewater)

Joel and Elizabeth had 10 children:
Elizabeth, James, Edward, Joel, George, John, Charles, Josiah, Mary Jane, and Joseph.

Charles Helliker (Carpenter Joiner) b. 7 Feb 1836 (Othery) d.1911 (Bristol)
*m1. Mary Ann HICK 26th May 1859 (Aller) b. April 17th 1840 d.1876 (Bristol)

Charles and Mary Ann had 12 Children:
James, Elizabeth Ann, Charles Edward, Albert, Herbert Wm, Rosina, Mary Jane, Kate Elizabeth, Mary Anne, Frank, Agnes Jane, Bertha. (Last 6 of these children seemed to have died in their first year of life)

Albert Helliker (Painter and Glazier) b. 1864 (Aller) d. 1931 (Bristol) m TAYLOR 1929 (Bristol) That’s all I have on this line.

There are dates and details on most children above.

*m2 Sarah Ann1876 (Clifton, Bristol) b.1855 d 1899 They had 5 children. Details if you would like it.

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 March 11 22:05 GMT (UK) »
These Taylor's are nothing to do with our family.

I trust the info sent on the Newick's was of some help!

Any more on the Newicks, particularly in regard to Barbara K, mentioned in my post?

SFT456

Offline Totnor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 October 11 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a family tree that records the direct descendant's of Joel Helliker (Boot and Shoe maker) b. 1830 Othery d. 1899 Wells m. Louisa in Meare d.1914 Wells. This record goes up to 1994.

The family tree also shows ancestor's from Joel back to Nicholas Helliker b. 1562.

This family tree is detailed on 14 A4 sheets of paper and contains some 800 individuals

I also have info on the Newick side (your previous query)

You mention David M Newick I think there is some confusion here. Why is it a delicate subject and what do you mean by "his likely status"?

I have on my computer details of Hellikers back to Nicholas, born  c.1652. I'd be happy to help anyone.