Author Topic: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot  (Read 20106 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot
« Reply #27 on: Friday 31 December 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a possibilty that in 1966 Josephine required a Birth Certifcate but only had a Baptisimal one.
If an application was made that did not match the records one may have been issued to "match" the church records. It is unusual but not unheard of.
If the GRO then made a discovery that the records of Josephine McCabe/McCann were the same they would attempt to correct their reocrds.
I agree with the earlier suggestion that she may have checked into the hospital under an assumed name where she wasn't known but could not keep up that pretence in a church either through being known or not wanting to lie.

There is an entry for a birth for a Florence Mary McCann born in Dublin North; Jan-Mar 1916 ref# Volume 2 Page 417
She would fit with the correct age if she could be matched back to Josephine.
There was another Florence born in 1923 but this would be too late to have a child in 1934
These records are on the familtsearch site
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot
« Reply #28 on: Friday 31 December 10 13:09 GMT (UK) »
It's possible that Josephine needed a valid birth certificate to apply for a passport in 1966 "And so Josie left in 1968 to start over again in America."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johnny_doyle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogy = navigating brick walls........
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 31 December 10 13:23 GMT (UK) »
if scans are available of the birth cert, baptism cert and any other relevant documents, it would be worthwhile uploading them.
Niland/Neiland/Neilan/Nyland - Dublin
Doyle - Enniscorthy
McCullen - Coastguards from Drogheda, Co Louth
Shepley - Macclesfield and Wheelock
Clarke - Macclesfield
McDermott - Macclesfield and Dublin
Pender - Dublin
O'Brien - Dublin and Galbally

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 31 December 10 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Note: only extracts of certs are allowed on rootschat

Generally so that people can assist with any difficult to read sections.

Mod
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
  • I thought I was the lone survivor..think again
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 31 December 10 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
You are correct, she did need a cert for immigration.  My mum left Ireland in 1957 to have my sister (because she was not married).  After she had her she then went to immigrate to Australia.  This is when she was given the wrong baptism cert and told she herself was adopted.  The gave her the wrong baptism cert and she had the wrong birth date.  When she left Australia to gain entry to America she then needed a long form birth.  She did get the correct (I hope) baptism cert.  This is when she discovered her birth mother.. even though it was listed incorrectly on her cert and was in fact given the correct birth date.  I hope this helps.  I will attach her cert shortly.  So after finding my sister I did not know I had 3 months ago and following my mothers trail now.. this has been an amazing journey.  Thank you all for looking at this.. I would love to solve this mystery of my mum.
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 31 December 10 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I will attach her cert shortly.  ....

please do not post a full cert... these are not allowed on rootschat

Dublin Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
  • I thought I was the lone survivor..think again
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 01 January 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
My mother's bapism cert from 3 patron's church also lists Brigid Molloy as her godmother.  She was baptised May 23.. would this have been by her mum and Brigid be a friend? What senerios could be at play?  I am grasping at anything to try to piece this together.  Thank you again.  It also lists her confirmatin at st. kevin's but there is no listing of 1st communion.. should that be listed as well?
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 01 January 11 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Godparents or sponsors are chosen by the parents as they wish, and can be family, friends or neighbours. In most cases there would be a male and female godparent.

Sometimes parish baptism records include details of later events such as confirmation or marriage, but not always. Among my own extended family I've seen several instances where a marriage was noted on the baptism details, but never anything on 1st communion or confirmation.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 01 January 11 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I've seen several instances where a marriage was noted on the baptism details, but never anything on 1st communion or confirmation.

I've never seen Confirmation in the older Parish registers, say, up to 1900.

However, when I asked at our Parish Church for a copy of my niece's baptism(1970s)/letter of freedom to marry ... for her marriage - I was told "we've no note of her Confirmation", implying that normally this was noted - when this became normal I've no idea

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow