Author Topic: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot  (Read 20111 times)

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
  • I thought I was the lone survivor..think again
    • View Profile
Re: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 02 January 11 00:58 GMT (UK) »
i think I had it in a broader search and misread.  how far would someone have traveled when having a child?
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Re: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 02 January 11 09:37 GMT (UK) »
If Josephine (snr) later married then it would be much easier to find a correct birth for her, as a marriage cert would show her father's name,  and occupation and could then be used to confirm, or rule out any possible births for her. Finding the correct birth for a person with just a very approximate year of birth and no details on location of birth or parents is very hit and miss... and you would never be certain that you had found the right person. 

I know no other info on Josephine sn other than her name.   

With what is written in this thread, there is nothing to suggest that "Josephine McCabe" was her real name. Any more than that it might have been "Florence McCann".
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 02 January 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
i really never took into consideration that a false name was used.  would the hospital accept that?  I am working to get the info from the Rotunda.  I will still pursue it, but now I realize that even what is written down as fact, might not be.
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 02 January 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »
One important detail to remember is that the Rotunda is exclusively a maternity hospital, so if it still has any records relating to Josephine snr they probably just relate to her stay in the hospital for the birth of her daughter.

Since the surname on the civil birth seems to be incorrect, it seems possible that Josephine may have registered under an assumed name. There would be no practical way for the hospital or registrar to confirm her details.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Since the surname on the civil birth seems to be incorrect, 

Shane

The problem here is that the thing cannot be solved without the detail being answered.

Unfortunately there appears no actual evidence to suggest what is correct here
  • original birth cert
  • amended birth cert, or what evidence was used to amend it
  • baptism record
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:07 GMT (UK) »
maybe inconsistent would have been a better choice of phrase, rather than incorrect ?

McCann / McCabe ....

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Since the surname on the civil birth seems to be incorrect

You are right in saying that "incorrect" may well not be the right word. Think I would put "uncertain". It may be correct.

The OP tells us that there was a change in Birth Cert in 1966. The GRO would have needed hard evidence for that (rather than what we, the readers of this forum might think they might have wanted - using the subjunctive tense  :)).

I have tried in vain to find what evidence this was, and is key to what the OP is trying to find. 
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:37 GMT (UK) »
the GRO just amended he record Dec 2010 stating it was a transcription error(human error) they changed it from a verbal statement taken from my adoptive mother. there is a proper name for it.  I was told that it could never be located by the issuing agency since it was  so old.  If the GRO has this doc, I would think that he would offer it to me.  But he has not.
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I am not trying to be evasive in any way.  this story is so confusing and complicated.  I greatly appreciate any help.  I am attempting to give all info straight forward.  if there is any confusion I will try to straighten.. would it help if I reinerate the whole story?
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan