Author Topic: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot  (Read 20110 times)

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
  • I thought I was the lone survivor..think again
    • View Profile
Re: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:05 GMT (UK) »
i greatly appreciate it.  The level of secrets around my mother's birth amazes me.  especially since she died young and i might have the same thing.  I want to get answers... and it has not been easy. 
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:07 GMT (UK) »
would they post a child born out of wedlock?
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:10 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know at that time births were registered by an official in the hospital - so I dont think people could skip this..

are you certain about the year of birth ?

I dont see any Josephine McCabe births anywhere in Dublin city during 1934. The closest by date is one in in Dublin north in April June quarter of 1930 - which has mothers maiden name entered.  (I would not expect to see this for an unmarried mother)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Can you find any info on her mother, my grandmother Josephine McCabe? it's like a comedy routine
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:25 GMT (UK) »
You didn't mention an approx age for Josephine snr in 1934, but I presume she was quite young ?

If she was 18 at the time she would have been born 1916 - so too late to be included in the 1911 census.

No real way to try find out more about her other than randomly ordering birth certs for the name Josephine McCabe - and that's assuming she used her real name. Even then confirming which might be your Josephine would be difficult.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:28 GMT (UK) »
If we try to establish what you have

1. Have you a birth cert for your mother

2. Have you a birth cert for your grandmother

3. If you go to the site that Shane is using which is here and just put "Josephine" for Christian name, "birth" "1934" and "Dublin" you get all Josephines born in 1934 in Dublin. it gives the surname and mothers maiden name.

5 of them were illegitimate (to the extent that surname and mother's name are the same)

These 5 Josephines are McCann, Hardy, Moore, Creamer and Steinson

In my opinion, if you are correct about 1934 and Dublin, then the McCann one is probably the one you want. Otherwise you need another date or place for the registration

Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:33 GMT (UK) »
well spotted... plus it's in the right district for the Rotunda (Dublin North)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:36 GMT (UK) »
did they change names like that?  if yes, that's amazing.  I am getting my dr. to write a letter to the rotunda to see if they can at least release med info.  Irish laws are tough.. this stuff is much easier in the US.  my adoptive grandmother lived in the hollyfield buildings as did the birth mother so that's why we think they must have just given my mum to her.  we were thinking that maybe it was a family memeber.. a sister in law or such.. but there it gets more confusing.  

Josephine's mum (adoptive) was Elizabeth Reeves (nee Hogan, formerly Butler - she was widowed from this marriage) She died  15 July 1977;

Josephine's dad was John Reeves a Handy man. Elizabeth and John married 20 Dec 1929. Think this was at the Church of 3 Patrons ( as you told me last night) in Rathgar. John Reeves address had been  5 Gore Cottages, Camden Row. Elizabeth Butler Nee Hogan had lived at 81 Hollyfield Buildings (presumably Dublin).

Does this thicken the plot?  Well, I might as well let this all go out.. I just found out 3 months ago I had a   sister as well.    http://www.boston.com/community/stories_to_inspire/articles/2010/12/19/an_old_secret_blooms_into_joy/
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 December 10 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Ah Ha!!! So the GRO is amending my mother's birth certificate even though my mother has been dead for 30 plus years .. it showed florence mccann as her birth mother on the cert.  the gro stated that was incorrect.. but maybe it was correct and they are changing it to protect the mother?  would that be the case?
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan