Author Topic: From Cork to Australia, Mary Davis/Mary Ann Davis  (Read 3862 times)

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
From Cork to Australia, Mary Davis/Mary Ann Davis
« on: Friday 31 December 10 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Mary Hawkes formerly Davis from all accounts was born in Cork about 1831.

This I have established through the birth certificate of my great grandfather, Thomas Hawk es born 8 June 1861 at Gundaroo, New South Wales, Australia.

The Informant on this certificate was John Hawkes, Father of Gundaroo.
John list himself as Shepherd, 49 years old from Staffordshire.

John was born/christened 25 December 1817,Saint Matthew, Walsall, England.

John had also been married prior to being married to Mary in 27 March 1837 to Jane  formerly Hawkins.

Unfortunately for John Hawkes he was convicted of a felony and given 7 years to Australia. He never was to see Jane again which is when John married Mary Davis and had another family in Australia.

The marriage certificate of Mary & John gives little information with no parents listed.

It States John Hawkes of the parish of Seymour & Mary Ann Davis of the Parish of Seymour, were married in this house of Mr.McLain by License with Consent of William Austin, this 28th Day of February 1852, by William Singleton. The registrar was signed with John Hawkes using his mark, X and Mary Ann Davis signing her name.
William Austin was one of the party to witness and the other witness  is illegible.

To date a death for Mary has not been found and is proving to be difficult.

I Would like to establish her family before coming to Australia  and her arrival into Australia.
I did take a brief look into Mary being an orphan, and found an entry listed which could be her but given the lack of info on Mary felt I could not confirm or deny this.
The Entry was listed  in Irish Famine Orphans in Australia,
Mary Davis,18, Cork,C of E, Mr.John Clarke, Bourke Street,9Pounds, 6 months

As far as the religion of the Family, John Hawkes was buried as C of E in 1894. And as far as I know the Hawkes family on my line have all been Presbyterian/Uniting.

If you can help  me out with the next step to further my research into the Davis Line I would love to hear from you
Regards
Jill
P.S.
Wishing you All A very Happy New Years Eve
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England