Author Topic: Maybe it just SOUNDED like Darrets  (Read 5531 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Maybe it just SOUNDED like Darrets
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 16:22 BST (UK) »
One of my relatives was in Liverpool in 1871, and living with James and Eliza Fulham and their first child, there is Anne Darrets, relationship Mother (probably mother-in-law). Her place of birth is given as Co Meath.

It's a name I have never heard anywhere else, and wonder if it still exists. There's also the likelihood that the name was written down by someone else, interpreting an unfamiliar accent.

The only references to the surname appear to be from the Aquitaine region of France, and that seems a bit unlikely for Meath.

I can't find any in the Eircom phone book.

Is this a name found in Ireland? If it was mangled by the census enumerator can anyone guess at what the name should have been?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe it just SOUNDED like Darrets
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrew,

I think the name may be Darragh or Darrah.
I tried to cross check these names with Co. Meath on another genealogy site and got a nil result.

http://www.failteromhat.com/meath.htm  Griffiths Valuations - Meath 1855
I have looked at Griffiths Valuations. There were no Darraghs or Darrahs in Meath.
The surname Dyas may be a possibility - (see the parishes of Balrathboyne and Martry).
The other possibility is Daggett in the parish of Kilberry. As you say it depends on the pronunciation.

Best Wishes,

Christopher

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe it just SOUNDED like Darrets
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 July 05 08:55 BST (UK) »
I'm in luck! Eliza's marriage has been transcribed on FreeBMD, and it's in Liverpool! There was obviously some variation in spelling, because the surnames are FULLAM and DARRESS.

Off to get the certificate - I get to find out who both the fathers were!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.