Author Topic: Hong kong - HOLMES  (Read 1066 times)

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Hong kong - HOLMES
« on: Friday 31 December 10 18:08 GMT (UK) »
We have recently discovered a ancestor who was a convict, he got his 'free' ticket and boarded the Montauk in Sydney Australia on the 13th Oct 1848 for Hong Kong (china), the ship arrived in Hong kong (china) on the 14th Nov 1848, now i am at a lose what to do and where to go next, we really want to know if he boarded another ship to get back to the UK, any shipping list or passenger list ?

regards fred

Holmes, Meachen, Moore, Barber, Stowers, Jex, Papps, Sutton, Wiseman, all Norwich & Norfolk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hong kong
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 11 20:17 GMT (UK) »
hello fred
lets see if we can revive your post i,ve just had a look and ancestry have alien arrival records going back to between 1810-11
and 1826-69 so within your time frame if wish to post your rellies name up we can see if we can find him it might be a long shot but worth a go
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hong kong
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
He is
Edward Holmes  from Norwich UK, Transported to Tasmania on the Isabella in 1841.
Free ticket granted 1848
Sailed from Sydney to Hong Kong on the Montauk arriving in HongKong 14th Nov 1848, i have found him on the passenger list for the Montauk, and thats as far as goes.
In 1848 his age would be approx 57 yrs old.
        Many thanks
 Fred :)
Holmes, Meachen, Moore, Barber, Stowers, Jex, Papps, Sutton, Wiseman, all Norwich & Norfolk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hong kong - HOLMES
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 11 21:39 GMT (UK) »
hifred
sorry can,t find him in aliens arrivals i presume any ship from there would come via south africa .
just in case you haven,t got it i looked him up in the criminal records and found the trial in norwich saying convicted of larceny with a note under saying convicted 3 times then transported for 7 yrs also looked at prison hulk registers and he,there ready to be sent it states he was convicted of stealing books also says convicted 7 times ( different crimes obviously ) or he was an avid reader  ;D
 he was a weaver by trade and the date received on the hulk was 18 may 1841 ships name leviathan based at portsmouth .
sorry thats the best i can do
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hong kong - HOLMES
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 January 11 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks very much for trying, i already have all that info.

Thanks again

Fred