Author Topic: Mary Prendergast of kilkenny  (Read 4331 times)

Offline ajay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary Prendergast of kilkenny
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 17:41 BST (UK) »
I have a partial marriage cert for my GG Grandmother Mary Prendergast (although spelt Pender in daughter Francis's B/C). She married Edward Gorvin, a gunner at Royal Artillery Kilkenny Barracks at St John's Parish Church, Kilkenny on 1/4/1876 and was 18 at date of marriage. Francis was born in Agra, India on 22/1/1887 so presumably Mary followed Edward when posted overseas. Do these names appear in anyones records.
Jeffrey/Jeffery- SE London / Kent
Durrant - Kent
Nott - Cornwall

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Prendergast of kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello ajay,

I don't know if this may assist you but I have just posted a message about the Kilkenny Archaeological Society which lists blacksmiths, ironmongers and metalworkers in Kilkenny.

I was interested to see your gg grandmother named her daughter Francis as the list on the KAS site includes a Frances Prendergast was a blacksmith in New Street in Kilkenny city in 1870. By the way I think the "es" ending is actually the female name and the "is" ending is the male name.

Christopher.

Offline ajay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Prendergast of kilkenny
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the info. Have not got any further with Prendergast family but will now look and see if there is a New Street connection.

Your right of course about the spelling of Frances.

Ajay
Jeffrey/Jeffery- SE London / Kent
Durrant - Kent
Nott - Cornwall