Author Topic: Lookup for Fearon family - Huguenot family?  (Read 12980 times)

Offline MattRob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup for Fearon family - Huguenot family?
« on: Saturday 01 January 11 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I am from Hervey Bay, Q'land and a long time researcher. Recently I learned that my Thomas Owen and his wife Catharine were in the region of the silk weavers and their daughter Eliza Owen was married to another silk weaving family. That family was Dinah Spencer to William Stokes in 1806 at Hackney.
Most surprising was the fact that Catharine's maiden name was Fearon.
Well that has opened a 'can of worms'. I have found a number of marriages and births for Abraham Fearon [vari] and Elizabeth Reson. This was all in the Middlesex region and the familiar churches of the time.
My research has given me this and I would appreciate any help to find links to this family. Thankyou for this opportunity. I also have much to share re these families. Seeking links to this Huguenot family.
Data from I.G.I. Marriages and Christenings.  I have just learned that this is a Huguenot family of London. Any help with resource for this family would be greatly appreciated... 
Abraham Fearon, m.28.9.1768 Elizabeth Reson, Bethnal Green.   
 Abraham Fearon, c.2.6.1769; Elizabeth Re[a]son, c.25.9.1772; 
 Catherine Fearon, c.9.1.1776; Jno Fearon, c.28.1.1778;
 Sarah Fearon, c.6.8.1780; Mary Fearin, c.9.5.1784;
 Abraham Feron, c.25.2.1787.
  Catherine Fearon born 7.6.1789 chr. 5.7.1789  St.Matthew's,
 Bethnal Green, to parents Abraham Fearon and Elizabeth Reson.
 Catharine Fearon m.15.8.1808 to Thomas Owen at St.Leonards, Shoreditch.
 Daughter Eliza Owen married William Stokes. MattRob

Offline MattRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LOOK UP REQUEST-Various Middlesex Parish Registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 January 11 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this and I can't read what you have returned to me. I am happy to oblige, if I know what you are saying. If it is about Huguenots, I would like to find that list, like I did this afternoon. Just a little guide until I get it right. MattRob

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for Fearon family - Huguenot family?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 January 11 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Welcome to Rootschat

I have moved your post and made a new topic because your request was not really anything to do with the Samways topic. Your request will get lost at the bottom of another person's topic and it is not really Rootschat etiquette to post on someone else's topic requesting different information from them. It is better to start your own topic with a clear heading for what you are looking for. I have put a Fearon Huguenot family heading for your topic here. Hopefully Rootschatters will be able to help you.

Regards

Valda
London and Middlesex moderator
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 January 11 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Matt

Abraham and Elizabeth's daughter Sarah (b.1780) married Samuel Gaffee Feb 9 1801 at St Dunstan's Stepney. Three of thier children, sons William, Henry and Benjamin, were inmates at different times at the French Hospital London, Victoria Park, between 1870-1890. They gave the information that both parents were Huguenot decendants, but unhelpfully for us only gave detail (which was all that was required) on one branch, their fathers, the Gaffees, who they traced back through a Claude Gaffee, who came to canterbury in 1685. William however does give some detail on his mother describing her as the daughter of Abraham Fearon, the son of John Fearon.

With this information it was possible to then find Abraham's baptism, he was baptised in 1744 at the French Huguenot Church Threadneedle Street to Jean/John Feron and Marie Ann Quantin/Cantain. Several siblings were also baptised there. Here are the full baptisms to the couple:

Jean/John Fearon  1734
Godparents Claude Croque & Catherine Quantin/Cantian
Marianne Fearon 1737
Godparents Jacques Heraud & Marie Fearon
Catherine Fearon 1739,  Godparents Noe (Noah) Fearon & Catherine Guilbaud
Anne Fearon 1741, Godparents Jean Fearon & Ann Angot
Abraham Feron 1744,  Godparents Abraham Marechaux & Susanne Quantin/Cantain

I cannot find a baptism for Jean/John Ferron/Fearon, but the unusual name of the godparent at Catherine's baptism traces back to this couple:

Matthias Feron and Marie Huet who had the following children baptised in London:

Noah Feron       31 August 1712 St Mary Whitechapel, Stepney
Marie Ferrand      3 March 1717 Saint Jean French Huguenot, Spitalfields
Abraham Fieron      29 Niv 1719 La Patente French Huguenot, Spitalfields
Thimothee Ferron   18 March 1722 La Patente French Huguenot, Spitalfields
Marie Feran      06 Nov 1726 Saint Jean French Huguenot, Spitalfields

Since they used a variety of Anglican and Huguenot chapels, and there are large gaps it is possible Jean/John is a son of theirs.

Matthias I can find nothing further back, but there is a Jacob Feron in the Threadneedle Church records who came from Lintot, Normandy as a refugee in 1685 and is on the 1727 Royal Bounty list aged 85 years living in Spitalfields.

Hope that is of some help and Happy New Year.

Richard

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline MattRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 January 11 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear Valda, Many kind thanks for posting my email. As I did not understand the progress I gave it away for a few hours. I am surprised to come in to computer late to see this message come up. I had just put Catherine Fearon into google when it showed.. Thanks kindly.
Now to Richard. What a huge surprise to get a reply so soon too, regarding Catherine Owen, whom I have known about for many years. I have followed so many families, but never got to follow back on Catherine. I am trying to retire from genealogy really, but one cannot turn away from such data as you have shared with me tonight. I have a friend, descendant of Stokes, silk weavers, who alerted me to the Fearon name. So that got me going again.
Wow !! I am so shocked to see that you have emailed me with so much data.
I will now go and read it properly. I have spent many years helping others find families and this is a wonderful time for me, for which I am very grateful...
I never knew until a few days ago, what being a Huguenot meant. We watched the W.D.Y.T.Y.A. on the Huguenot / silk weaving family of Julia and learned so much about it. Fancy after 25 years finding so much of great interest.. All I can say is thankyou very much and bein in Australia, I am willing to help with anything you would like. Sincerely in searching... MattRob 

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:27 GMT (UK) »
No problem Matt only too happy to help. Hope your not suffering too much with the floods there in Queensland.

Regards

Richard
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 January 11 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Bit of extra info.

There is a John Fearon in the Huguenot Society's Proceedings down as running his own silk weaving enterprise out of Spicer Street, Spitalfields, and then later Pelham Street, Spitalfields from 1766-1780.

There is also a will for a John Fearon, Weaver, of Christchurch Spitalfields, 2nd October 1798

Can be downloaded from the National Archives website for a small charge:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=349784&queryType=1&resultcount=8

Also a will for a John Fearon, Gentleman, of Christchurch Middlesex 15th October 1796:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=438014&queryType=1&resultcount=8

The first would appear more likely to be him, but other could be his son. Worth taking a look at both. May reveal further details on the family, etc.

Regards

Richard

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 January 11 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Matt

Had a much more thorough look at the various resources today, and I have found another bit of evidence which links John Fearon to Matthias Fearon.

This comes through Matthias Fearon's wife Marie Huet.

She was baptised on April 19 1691, at The Threadneedle Street French Huguenot Church in London. Her parents were Jean Huet and his wife Susanne Chalon, who came to England as refugees probably around 1689, joining the church officialy the next year on 11 May 1690. They were originally from Château Queli, in Brie, just outside Paris and they had following children in total:

Elizabeth Susanne Huet 1689
Marie Huet 1691
Marie Jeanne Huet 1693
Abraham Huet 1694
Jean Huet 1696
Suzanne Huet 1699
Catherine Huet 1701
Abraham Huet 1703

Their second son Jean Huet, Marie's younger brother, was admitted into the French Hospital in 1777 aged 81, and died there two years on, and it is from his petition the details on their origins in France come, but also, importantly the sponser who applied for him to be put in the hospital at that time, and presumably his next of kin, was none other than one Jean/John Fearon!

If John was as we suspect a son of Matthias Fearon and Marie Huet, it would of course make him this Jean Huet's nephew. Acting as his next of kin suggests a close relationship.

As for Matthias Fearon himself I am beggining to suspect, that rather then connecting him to Jacob Feron of Lintot, which none of the evidence really can support, he may instead have come here via Holland.

Alot of the Huguenot refugees went first to there circa 1680-88, and then only later moved on again to England approx 1699-1712. There are a variety of different reasons behind this, which I wont go into great detail on, but suffice to say, a few reasons make me think this is so for your branch of Fearons.

Firstly several of the godparents of Matthias Fearon and Marie Huets children in London that I've looked at clearly come via this route.

Secondly, John Fearon's own wife Marie Ann Quantin/Quentin's family came via this route. She was born around 1710 in London, as was her younger sister Suzanne around 1713, but their older sister Catherine was born around 1705  in Holland, so the family came to England some time between 1705-1710. They were originally from Vendeuil in Picardy in the border region with the Nertherlands, and fled there to Haarlem.

Finally, when Matthias Fearon and his wife took their baby son Abraham, to be baptised on 29 Nov 1719 at La Patente, Spitalfields, the only other couple on the register that day, coincidently. were my own 6xg grandparents Antoine and Judith Deverdun, baptising their baby daughter Judith. Both babies had been born on the same day 16 Nov, a fortnight previous. This makes me think they may have actually gone to the church together, and a relationship existed between the families. My Deverduns were certainly also from the same Picardy border regions, and also fled first to Haarlem, Holland, in the 1680's, before moving on again to England around 1702.

So no hard proof of this, you'd need to examine the Dutch Huguenot registers, but the circumstances I say appear to point in this direction,  Matthias Fearon being initially part of the Huguenot refuge in Holland, he certainly has several overlapping links with that community in London, and neither does he appear to have been baptised here in England.

Food for thought!

Regards

Richard

Offline MattRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard, I am really Thelma, while Matt is my husband. We are so delighted with all this family history. I cannot thank you enough for all your interest and willingness to share it with me. I have shared whatever I can with friends or rels and the pleasure is always mine. I have downloaded a copy from archives, of those two wills you advised me to and I now have to try and read them. Is it possible to share with you via email ?  I now have a lot of work to do to add to my Word Document re the Stokes, Owen and Fearon families, who all, it seems, worked the Silk Weaving industry in early London.
I can see that I have much more to learn, even though I am winding down from genealogy. Thelma [MattRob]