Author Topic: Census List for army 1901  (Read 1145 times)

Offline mallow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Census List for army 1901
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 17:59 BST (UK) »
Is there a Census list for soldiers in barracks on the night of census if so where can it be found trying to trace Frederick Charles Allsopp born 1883 stafford,he is not on ordinary Census and was in the Royal Garrison Artillary ???

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Census List for army 1901
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 22:57 BST (UK) »
Mallow

Soldiers in the UK were certainly recorded in the census, but there is not as far as I know a database extraction of military personnel. It is a matter of guessing where they were likely to be based and searching for 'depot/barracks/army' or suchlike plus (+)the town or area on the census site. Read the tips on searching for a particular institution or place.

To start you off, I attach a list of where most of the RGA were based  - should keep you busy for a while!  It may also be worthwhile searching Woolwich Depot as this was (and still is?) the HQ of various branches of the artillery.
http://www.palmerstonforts.org.uk/rga.htm

Leofric

Offline mallow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 05 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Leofric. That will keep me very busy I was trying to get a fix on whether the R G A were in Dublin Ireland in 1916 in  the Oct Nov Dec quarter especially 62coy help really appreciated :-\

Offline mallow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 05 21:18 BST (UK) »
Any Luck yet Leofric with 62coy I cannot find any information on them any where :(