Author Topic: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment  (Read 41299 times)

Offline jan4776

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
« Reply #45 on: Friday 15 October 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. There is an awful lot I don't know, that's why I'm on this site.

So am I correct in assuming that T (T1,T2,T3 & T4) - (horse)"Transport", Army Service Corps means he was in the ASC of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment not as well as?

I just need to get the details correct on his plaque .

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 15 October 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
The Army Service Corps is completely seperate from the Loyal North Lancs, which was an infantry regiment.

There is no way that I am going to be able to explain it and make any sense, so I suggest you have a look at the Long Long Trail until some-one more lucid comes along  :)

http://www.1914-1918.net/

You will find a link to the ASC and if you click the Infantry regiments link, there is a further link to the LNL.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WATTERS2831

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 16 October 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of about 20 men of the 2nd/4th battalion of the LNL taken in february 1917 , i got it from Fulwood Barracks in the hope that my Gt Grandfather would be on it , i have tried posting it on here but i think the file is just too big , it would be nice to share the photo and maybe someone can recognise their ancestor , if anyone is clever enough to be able to reduce the photo and post it please send me a PM with your e-mail address

Offline aroya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My Great Uncle was:
Edwin Adams born 1884 in Shelton Stoke on Trent Staffordhire.
He married to Esther Simpson in 1907 and had daughters Olive 1907 and Matilda 1911.
I found his grave in Hanley Cemetery (Stoke on Trent)

He appears on the CWGC as ADAMS , E Private 27474 26/10/1920 35 The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment United Kingdom 27391. STOKE-ON-TRENT (HANLEY) CEMETERY

So it seems that the body may have been brought back to Stoke long after his death or it may be an empty grave! (is this likely?)
One source seems to think he died in 1918 and one in 1919. (Both very vague)
I have tried to find out about his death for several weeks now both on line and through the microfilm records of the Staffordshire Sentinel for 1918, 1919 and 1920 with no success in BDMs or war news.

The L N Lancs Reg seem to have served all over and the 7th battallion was disbanded in February 1918

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Aroya
It looks like he died at Home in 1920 you can apply for death cert to confirm it Soldiers (apart from a few in the early days) were buried near to the battlefields and not returned home unlike today.

Also a lot of men are mentioned on family gravestones as having been Killed in Action

CWGC cut off date was 1921 for Great War...he must have died of War Effects as he is remembered by CWGC.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure this is your man he was called Edmund according to the National Archives enlisted March 1915 and was discharged April 1917 sick....he would have been awarded a pension.
His mum wasnt Harriet and brother William by any chance?

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline aroya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi mmm It is definitely not Edmund Adams who was dismissed from the North Staffordshire Reg as unfit. This is a CWGC headstone not a family grave but your I had thought about the death certificate option.
Thanks for your help

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 15:17 GMT (UK) »
if he died of illness after discharge  you may not get an obituary just a quick entry in the papers death listing
Also check the anniversary of his death in 1920 for a few years after to see if any of the family have put anything in the "in memoriam" page

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline aroya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ady
I am still rolling on through the Sentinel microfilms. I'll let myou know if I turn anything up