Author Topic: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment  (Read 41305 times)

Offline WATTERS2831

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 12 September 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
No , i think the file is just too large , if you send me a PM with your e-mail address i could try e-mailing it to you

coincidently i also had a ancestor Thomas McLoughlin born in Blackburn who died in WW1 , his name is on the Menin gate

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 12 September 13 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
Atina - you will need to make 3 posts on Rootschat in order to be able to use the PM system...If you reply to this that will be 3

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 123gilld

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm writing because I have a letter dated 14th August 1918 that I bought at an antique fair in the early nineties when I was about 12 or 13. I have recently refound it whilst looking through some old belongings and having had the war on my mind recently (my grandma, who was a nurse during the war, recently died and I have been given lots of family wartime letters etc) I decided that I would like to send this letter to someone who may have a connection to the writer.
His name was Edmond and he was transferred to the Loyal North Lancashires, 2nd Batt(?).  no. 30902, 15 Platoon 2(?) company BE7 France in 1918.
I have (?) anything that I am not sure of from the writing!
The letter is to his father and it asks after 'Lizzie' and 'Auntie Gracie' and he also requests some soldier's friend! He also asks after Harry Elden.

Please get in touch if this rings a bell and I will send you the letter - I know how special it is to have letters that have been sent by grandfathers or great-grandfathers,

Helen

Hi Helen

I know your post is from quite a while ago. I work at Edmond Whiteheads primary school and we are doing topic work about our pupils who lost their lives in the War. We have a memorial plaque up in school. It would be great to have any more info about Edmond or to be able to get in touch with his relatives to invite them to some of our events.  I will look up whether Harry Elden also went to our school.

Gill Day

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill

helenabel has not been active on Rootschat for a while so may not see your post.  She should get a notification to say you have replied but only if she has not changed her registered email address. Fingers crossed she will see it and get back to you.

In the meantime...welcome to Rootschat and I hope you project goes well.

Milly (Armed Forces Moderator)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Waterloo24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 11 May 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hello All
Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place here.
I have managed to get my Granddad's Service records from both wars.
He was in the Loyals throughout - 5th Regiment.
I am looking at them and have no idea where I start with working out what he did and where in WW1 ... there are lots of pages so I shall start at the beginning.
I can obviously see his enlistment details and dates he went to France / wounded / returned to front etc but how do I find out where he was posted etc.
I am going in circles as I see 1/5TH 2/5TH etc !!
Many Thanks for any advice ... from a total novice.

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 11 May 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
This is a photograph taken by The London Illustrated News.

The man on the left was my Grandfathers brother, he was killed on the 14 of August 1914.
He was in A Coy. 1st Battalion, The Loyal North Lancs. His name is on the Menim Gate Memorial.