Author Topic: Dagenais born in Canada  (Read 7849 times)

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dagenais born in Canada
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the parentage of Victor Dagenais b. 1862 Canada. He married in New York to Annie Murray b. 1863 in Ireland.  I have a copy of the 1910 US Census where they are listed as living in Manhattan with their three children. By 1920 Annie is listed as a widow and still owner of the store they ran together.  Any info appreciated.
Farnan, Ginnell, Macken, Monaghan, Murphy, Murray

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dagenais born in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 January 11 01:00 GMT (UK) »
These may be them (if he was born in 1862, he would be 39 in 1901)
Nippising

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=94686&highlight=34&desc=1901+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Victor+Dagenais

Dagenais Victor M   Head M Dec 10 1861 39   

Dagenais Josephine F   Wife M Jun 4 1878 22   

Dagenais Arthur M   Son S Jul 30 1897 3   

Dagenais Marie G. F   Daughter S Apr 12 1900 11/12
However they are not found 1911 (even though we were not going to include them!!)   

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 11 01:17 GMT (UK) »
I found the family on the 1900 US census in Manhattan at Ancestry under the name Dragenis (that does appear to be how it is written on the image). The 1900 census indicates that Victor was born in Apr 1862. He emigrated in 1881 and was a naturalized citizen. The New York immigration index indicates he applied for US citizenship in 1891. I believe you can order the file from the National Archives and Records Administration website (some state district court files you have to contact the county clerk but this one does appear to be at NARA). The cost is $7.50 US and they only charge you if they have the file. I have no idea whether his parents names would be included in the file.

The only Victor Dagenais born in 1862 that I could find in the Drouin Collection was baptised in February 1862 in Montreal.

The Italian Genealogy website has a vital statistics database which has a Victor Dagenais' death at the age of 55 on 30 Oct 1917 in Manhattan (certificate #31464). Here's a link to the NYC website where you can order a copy of the death registration:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/death.shtml
Since the date and certificate number is known the cost would be $15 US. I don't know for certain but I believe his parents name may be on the registration if they were known.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 11 01:20 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry for the family that Vbain found on the 1901 Canada Census.  It shows Victor marrying twice...Melina Desrosiers in 1878 and Josephine Lapointe in 1896.  His death is shown as 1941 in Laverlochere, PQ.  The tree includes 3 children with wife #1 and 12 children with wife #2.

I wouldn't think this is a likely candidate for your Victor.

Susan

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 11 01:27 GMT (UK) »
There are a few Victor Dagnais born in the 1860s in Quebec.  There is no way of proving his parentage from Canadian records - what you really need is his death or marriage registration and hopefully parents, or at least his father's name, would be there.

A possibility is Victor Damas(?) Hector Edgar christened 2 Feb 1862 at Basilique Notre Dame  Montreal s/o Ubald Dagnais and Mathilde Defoy.  These parents married 18 May 1847 Quebec.  She was the d/o Joseph Defoy b. Que and Archange Roben (dit Lapointe) b. Montreal.  I failed to note his parents.  Mathilde died 19 Dec 1910 at Ottawa, Ontario.  Her birth date on that form was given as 5 July 1927.

This family is on the 1871 census St. Louis Ward Montreal
Ubald Dagenais 53, wife Mathilde 43, and children Louisa 21, Alfred 19, Mathilde 13, Henry 11, Victor 9,  Anna 7, Maria 4, and Mathilde's mother Archange Defoy 76.

The  1900 US census gives Victors's birth as Apr 1862, Immigration year of 1881 and marriage year of 1885.  the 1905 New York census shows him born 1865 Canada.

I'll post a few more possibilities later.

Debbie

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to you all for the information! The family name was definately Dagenais.  Victor and Annies 11month old son Edgar Joachim Dagenais died in 1895 in Ireland and is buried here too. 
Anitakate

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 23:32 GMT (UK) »
It's not unusual for a surname to be misspelled on a census. The family on the 1900 US census is definitely the correct family based on the information from the 1910 census.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 January 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi AntiKate,
Have got no further with your other research. Had a look for Victor and came across the family travelling from Queenstown, Ireland , Sept 21 1895 on board the Campania. He was 33, occup was Baker, native country Ireland, going to New York, citizen of USA; Wife only signed in as M; 31, no occup and the rest the same as Victor; Victor 8; Bessie 5; Loretta 2. Native country of all children USA.

The 1900 Census is the right family it just means that whoever entered the name entered it wrongly. The house address is the same as the City Directory: 1870 3rd Avenue.

Still haven't found him in Canada. In 1871 census, Ripon, East Quebec there was a Victor Dagenais, 10, Roman Catholic, French speaker, Orphan. living with Joseph 66 and Julia Brunette 64 - can't make out his occupation unless it is 'cultivator'.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 January 11 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Excel.  That certainly has to be Victor and Annie Dagenais and 3 surviving children. How did you find the passenger list?  Poor little Edgar obviously made the trip to Ireland with the family but died in July 1895 from measles and so didnt make the trip home to the US.  He was their 5th son to have died!
What was the mis-spelling of the Dagenais name on the 1900 US Census?
That certainly could have been Victor in 1871 as the time line would be correct.  Thank you for all your digging!