Author Topic: Robert Sherrard married Mary Buchanan  (Read 27110 times)

Offline DOBLAKE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Sherrard married Mary Buchanan
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 07 November 15 23:55 GMT (UK) »
But my David Joseph Buchanan was either Presbyterian or Church of Ireland. He wasn't Catholics

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 08 November 15 18:58 GMT (UK) »
But my David Joseph Buchanan was either Presbyterian or Church of Ireland. He wasn't Catholics

Is that is response to this comment?
The problem with your David Joseph Buchanan in my branch of the family is the middle name Joseph. Due to the sentiments expressed in those days in my branch of the family, it is unlikely that there would be anyone in the family with the name Joseph.

If so, several of us are also puzzled by that remark. If the poster is implying that Joseph is a name used only by Catholics then she is incorrect.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Buchananekos

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 28 April 16 12:34 BST (UK) »
I have read all the above posts and am fascinated. My Buchanan family stems from Limavady, Derry and I cannot find any trace of them. My 3 times grandfather is David Joseph Buchanan, Presbyterian born 1825 who was a British soldier who fought in the Crimean war in 1850. He returned to Ireland and married four times, converting to RC to marry his third wife. He had no children that I am aware of until he married Elizabeth Ridgeway from Co. Longford in 1877 and that's my Buchanan line. However, the photos uploaded on this link are uncanny, because they are so much like my family, yet the name David is not here. Would he have been disowned and written out of the family because he changed to RC? His father was also David Buchanan and his mother was Isabella McCutcheon. I would be so thrilled if I could solve this mystery.

Is that is response to this comment?
The problem with your David Joseph Buchanan in my branch of the family is the middle name Joseph. Due to the sentiments expressed in those days in my branch of the family, it is unlikely that there would be anyone in the family with the name Joseph.

If so, several of us are also puzzled by that remark. If the poster is implying that Joseph is a name used only by Catholics then she is incorrect.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 28 April 16 13:57 BST (UK) »
Are you trying to post a new message? if so, click on 'reply', type message in box (without quoting) then press on the post button  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!