Author Topic: Help finding death of John William Walsh b1857 in Blackburn please  (Read 2344 times)

Offline lizcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding death of John William Walsh b1857 in Blackburn please
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:26 GMT (UK) »
My gt grandfather John William Walsh, son of John Walsh (1819-1900) was born in Blackburn in 1857. He married an Ellen Greenwood in 1891. She died in Nov 1936 and was a widow by this time but I have not been able to find details of John William's death. Any suggestions???? I can see no reason as to why it wouldn't have been in Blackburn.

Many thanks

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding death of John William Walsh b1857 in Blackburn please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you have them on the census/whether they had any children after the first year or so of marriage?

There is a death of a John William Walsh in 1892 in Blackburn, but that would have been very quick after the marriage and if he's around in 1901, this death can be discounted.

and one in 1927 in Blackburn, but aged 74 so its a little out, but another Blackburn one in 1932 that is a much better match on age (74 again) which gives a birth year of 1858 ish.   
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline lizcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, my gt aunt was born in Aug 1891 and my grandma in May 1895. There were no more children.

My mum was born in 1934 and her elder sister in 1931/2 and can't remember him. I haven't managed to get on to the 1911 census. There wasn't enough money for probate from what I can gather.

I wish it wasn't such a common surname !!!

Offline lizcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 11 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I think it must be the 1932 one. I can't find it on Ancestry though.....

Eventually I remembered my Mum has a copy of the purchase of a burial plot by JWWalsh at Blackburn Cemetary, Episcopalian section in 1920. She also has a form dated 7/10/1932 from Refuge Assurance re a claim on the life of JWW but it doesn't state the actual date of death. There is also the marriage cert of Mum's parents and JWW is listed as father (obviously!) but not mentioned as deceased.

Can anyone help me with any further info at all and if there is any chance the cemetary is still there so there may be the chance of finding a gravestone?

Many thanks,  Liz

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 January 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you seen this site?

http://www.cemsearch.co.uk/blackburn/blackburn.html

There are WALSH names there but you have to pay £6 for a report, I don't know what info this would give you.

As your mum has a copy of the puchase document it might be worth contacting Blackburn Cemetery first,

http://www.blackburn.gov.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.12210

http://www.blackburn.gov.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.27214

The Cemetery records seem to be at Blackburn Central Library on microfilm, if you're not local maybe some kind person would be able to do a look up for you.

http://www.blackburn.gov.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.2876

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)