Author Topic: Where are my Scots ancestors?  (Read 11571 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Where are my Scots ancestors?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  :)

Guy, have you searched on the Strait Times Archive for any mention of your MacTaggart line?

There is one marriage notice for example, might relate to William's first marriage perhaps:

At Singapore, on Saturday, the 17th June, by the Rev. C A Gladwin, William MacTaggart Esq. to Mary Ann, eldest daughter of the late John Armstrong Esq.
The Straits Times, 20 June 1854, Page 4 http://newspapers.nl.sg/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  :)

Guy, have you searched on the Strait Times Archive for any mention of your MacTaggart line?

There is one marriage notice for example, might relate to William's first marriage perhaps:

At Singapore, on Saturday, the 17th June, by the Rev. C A Gladwin, William MacTaggart Esq. to Mary Ann, eldest daughter of the late John Armstrong Esq.
The Straits Times, 20 June 1854, Page 4 http://newspapers.nl.sg/

Monica

This is a terrific resource thank you so much for providing the link. There are lots of mentions about the family, including William's obituary. At last I feel that I am finding out about the family.

Guy
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 09:18 GMT (UK) »
A quick update:

The Straits Archive has furnished me with my great grandmother's probable name Mary Ann Armstrong, sadly though there is no mention of either Catherine's birth or MAA's death.

It has also given me obituary reports for William and three of his sons, who all died very young from fever (Malaria?). There is much mention of the boy's employment and sporting activities esp. with Singapore Cricket Club and also William's business achievements.

So a big thank you to Monica for this superb lead. A special mention to DDJJAKE who helped unravel the Smiths for me and to all the others who have helped so much.

AYE
Guy!
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Guy, really pleased that you have been able to find so much from The Strait Times. The newspaper archives can be invaluable for anyone researching there. It is always a huge high when you find yourself this information  :) Hopefully with more concrete names and dates you will be able to unravel more info from direct sources in Singapore.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smith2p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Emily Janet McLean (Malta c. 1883)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 December 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Guy,

I can help you with Catherine CAY who married James McTAGGART 8 Jun 1823.

Catherine was the daughter of William CAIE and Catherine CRUICKSHANK, she was born in 1802 but I have no other detail. The surname is spelt Caie and Cay, dependent on who wrote it down.

Her sisters, Elsy born about 1812, and Margaret baptised 6 Apr 1807 St. Nicholas, Aberdeen, brother James baptised 17 Sep 1801 St. Nicholas Aberdeen. (Info from OPR's.)

William CAIE  born about 1776 (Aberdeenshire) 1841 census, married 6 Dec 1800 OPR text:
"6 Dec 1800
William Caie m. Catherine Cruickshank
Upon the sixth day of December one thousand Eight hundred by the Rev. John Skinner minder of St. Andrews chapel in Aberdeen were lawfully married in the said chapel after the proclamation of Bannes.
William Caie Wright in Aberdeen and Catherine Cruickshank the Daughter of the deceased John Cruickshank late farmer in the parish of Auchterless. In presence of these witnesses Mr William Johnston and Mr John Johnston both merchants in Aberdeen."

William, engineer, flax spinner died 6 Mar 1847.

Catherine CRUICKSHANK born about 1772 Auchterless, 1851 census. Death 5 Nov 1854.

Back to the marriage of Charles SMITH and Catherine CAY 24 Oct 1835, it appears in IGI twice: St. Nicholas, Aberdeen and Old Machar, Aberdeen. Anyone know why?

I have other posts on RootsChat regarding James Kier (Keir) CAY and William CAY, the sons of James CAY, son of William CAIE. The family were merchants, William CAY (ship broker) married Caroline Julia HEATHFIELD in Boston MA 1855. Her brother, Thomas D'Estimanville HEATHFIELD was a grain merchant there.

Feel free to ask for any more information you would like.

My partner Bobby Cay sent you a note in Nov. We would be very interested in obtaining more details about the family and would appreciate keeping in contact.

Pat
Jenner (Surrey & Sussex), McLean (Hubbards, NS), Cay (Scotland, London [Canada], Boston MA, any), Heathfield (Quebec, Boston MA), Cleveland (Hubbards NS)

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 December 11 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Back to the marriage of Charles SMITH and Catherine CAY 24 Oct 1835, it appears in IGI twice: St. Nicholas, Aberdeen and Old Machar, Aberdeen. Anyone know why?

What the OPR usually records is the reading of the banns, rather than the marriage itself. So if the couple came from different parishes, the banns would be read in each, and so appear in the OPR twice.
Elwyn

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 July 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
Guy,

I can help you with Catherine CAY who married James McTAGGART 8 Jun 1823.

Catherine was the daughter of William CAIE and Catherine CRUICKSHANK, she was born in 1802 but I have no other detail. The surname is spelt Caie and Cay, dependent on who wrote it down.

Her sisters, Elsy born about 1812, and Margaret baptised 6 Apr 1807 St. Nicholas, Aberdeen, brother James baptised 17 Sep 1801 St. Nicholas Aberdeen. (Info from OPR's.)

William CAIE  born about 1776 (Aberdeenshire) 1841 census, married 6 Dec 1800 OPR text:
"6 Dec 1800
William Caie m. Catherine Cruickshank
Upon the sixth day of December one thousand Eight hundred by the Rev. John Skinner minder of St. Andrews chapel in Aberdeen were lawfully married in the said chapel after the proclamation of Bannes.
William Caie Wright in Aberdeen and Catherine Cruickshank the Daughter of the deceased John Cruickshank late farmer in the parish of Auchterless. In presence of these witnesses Mr William Johnston and Mr John Johnston both merchants in Aberdeen."

William, engineer, flax spinner died 6 Mar 1847.

Catherine CRUICKSHANK born about 1772 Auchterless, 1851 census. Death 5 Nov 1854.

I have other posts on RootsChat regarding James Kier (Keir) CAY and William CAY, the sons of James CAY, son of William CAIE. The family were merchants, William CAY (ship broker) married Caroline Julia HEATHFIELD in Boston MA 1855. Her brother, Thomas D'Estimanville HEATHFIELD was a grain merchant there.

Feel free to ask for any more information you would like.

My partner Bobby Cay sent you a note in Nov. We would be very interested in obtaining more details about the family and would appreciate keeping in contact.

Pat

Hello Pat,

Thank you for all this wonderful information. I replied to Bobby just recently.
I have not had much time for family history recently due to illness in the family (my father, who now seems quite recovered, but is now living in a nursing home as a result).
My G Grandmother was Catherine Anne MacTaggart 1856-1943, daughter of William MacTaggart (1829-1891) and Mary Anne Armstrong (?-1856).
Your research states that Catherine Cay married Charles Smith in 1835, so presumably James had already died by then... do you know when and how? I have James as a Corn Merchant so presumably he remained in Scotland?
I attach a picture for your interest of Catherine Anne Massey nee MacTaggart with her daughter Kathleen Louise. If you have any pictures of the MacTaggarts or contemporary Cay's and Cruickshanks I would love to see them.
You can email me directly on *
Regards
Guy
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline AlexHart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 January 21 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Guy
happy New Year
I believe we are related! My name is Alexandra Mary Hart, Nee Mactaggart. My grandfather  was Edmonds Francis Mactaggart and my father David John Mactaggart. I do have some information that I may be able to help you with but it is a bit patchy. I am trying to find information at the moment relating to my grandmother Harriet Tennant who was married to Edmonds (Frank). Dad did some research on William Mactaggart and my brother has two lovely small portraits - one of William and the other of his wife. I also know that the family lived in a house called the White House in SIngapore where they were merchants. Let me know if I can help with other information. I am in the UK briefly visiting family (and granny's grave in Ashburton).

Offline AlexHart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 January 21 13:28 GMT (UK) »
My cousins are named Catherine and Louise.  You probably know about the "famous" Catherine Mactaggart. The family had a christening robe from the 19th century (I was christened in it but my brother James was not). All of the family names were embroidered on the robe and were passed down to family members. I expect you probably knew Dad - he died in 2009.
I would love to share more information - I am due to go back to New Zealand on 29th January.
Many thanks