Author Topic: "born Scotland" - advice please  (Read 5757 times)

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
Re: "born Scotland" - advice please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 January 11 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,
No, no family members until my Tyneside Liddles marry into the family and join the household in 1861.
Thanks
Rob

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 January 11 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Are you positive her father's occupation is Accountant?   Could it possibly be Annuitant?   An accountant suggests an educated man and seems strange that a daughter would be unable to sign her name.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 January 11 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
William Cherry's (b Ireland - similar problem) father was called John too - don't know his mother

Not sure if this provides a clue, but William Cherry and Jean McPheal's children in order are, I believe:

James b1840Elizabeth 1842
Joseph 1844
William 1845

Rob

No, you would expect the first son to be John if they followed the Scottish naming pattern ....

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 January 11 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Rob, you'd probably done this before but I just tried searching published family trees on An*****y.   Sometimes they can surprise you by having a clue found by somebody else.    Zilch, I'm afraid in both Jean and Jane, plus any spelling variant of Macphail / McPheal / Fs/Phs etc.
Sorry this adds nothing, I'm posting purely to save anyone else having the same bright (?) idea and wasting their time
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 January 11 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking, Maggie

Annette - I'm pretty sure it's "accountant". Here's a scan:

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 January 11 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I think it looks like Accountant as well.    The single stroke 't' is exactly the same as the 't' in the word 'after'
Which makes it all the more odd, as Annette said, that Jean made her mark rather than signed her name
p.s. oddly enough when I first looked at it I thought the second half of the word was 'land' - perhaps influenced by the word 'Farmer' above.    It was when I opened and blew it up to a larger size I realised the 't's were ts.
I'm showing my ignorance here, but I was quite surprised by the use of the word 'Accountant' at that point - I had imagined that what we think of as an Accountant would have been described differently then
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland