Author Topic: Lakes in London  (Read 9236 times)

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lakes in London
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the title is a little misleading! It's not about bodies of water, rather the Lake family.

I'm trying to search for a Samuel Lake born abt 1781 (if his burial record is to be believed) I can't find his, nor any suitable potential siblings', baptism and was hoping someone here would be kind enough to help.

His marriage was at St Giles Cripplegate, as was the baptism of his daughter. I have found a very suitable baptism in 1781 at St Giles but the surname is Lacey  :-\

I would be very appreciative for any help anyone can throw my way.

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lakes in London
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 11 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Presumably this is the relevant marriage:

4 Sep 1800
St Giles without Cripplegate
Samuel Lake & Ann Hammond
Witnesses - Joseph Hewatson and Andrew Wood (the latter probably a church official)

Children of Samuel & Ann (dates are baptisms):

20 Sep 1801 - Samuel Lake @ St Leonard, Shoreditch (born 20 Jul 1801)
11 Nov 1803 - Louisa Ann Lake @ St Luke, Old Street (born 18? Oct 1803)
30 Oct 1805 - Ann Lake @ St Giles, Cripplegate (born 3 Oct 1805)
5 Oct 1808 - Leonard Lake @ St Giles, Cripplegate (born 17 Aug 1808)
27 Jan 1811 - Eliza Lake @ Holy Trinity Minores (born 28 Dec 1810)
6 Dec 1812 - Emma Lake @ Holy Trinity Minores (born 28 Oct 1812)

The baptisms for Ann and Leonard give Samuel's occupation as tobacconist.

Nigel

Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 11 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

That's fantastic. I know only of their daughter, Ann, born 1805. The tobacconist confirms to me that that's him as his wife, after his death, is listed on Censuses as 'Independent' which makes me think he was a reasonably wealthy trader (?) I think the two entered at Holy Trinity Minories are their children as Samuel was buried there, and the street they lived on (listed on his burial) was Hayden Street - very close to Holy Trinity Minories.

I don't suppose you know if St Leonard's and St Lukes are close to each other? Do you think that Samuel, the first one, is their child? It seems like they chopped and changed churches a lot.

Ryan

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:08 GMT (UK) »

I don't suppose you know if St Leonard's and St Lukes are close to each other? Do you think that Samuel, the first one, is their child? It seems like they chopped and changed churches a lot.

London was a very densely populated area (even in the early 1800s) and all of the Churches are relatively close together.

The baptism of Samuel is probaly Samuel and Ann's first child. The baptism entry clearly names Samuel and Ann as parents and the date fits with the date of marriage. There doesn't appear to be any other Samuel and Ann Lakes baptising children at this time.

You appear to have the burial of Samuel Lake (Sr.) at Holy Trinity Minories on 22 Jul 1819 (aged 38). Can't find a baptism for him at present.

Nigel
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan,

Do you have any idea where he may have been born?

There is, for example, a Samuel Lake (son of Benjamin and Elizabeth) baptised at St Edmunds, Exeter, Devon on 4 Apr 1781 and a Samuel Lake (son of George and Elizabeth) baptised at Saint Petrock, Exeter, Devon on 12 Jan 1780. London has, of course, attracted people from distant locations for many centuries.

Nigel
Somerset - Barber

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

I haven't any records to suggest that he wasn't born outside of London. In fact, his later son-in-law was from Sussex ( or at least very likely from there).

I have found a tree on ancestry who has Samuel in their tree, and they have no place of birth either. I've no idea, unfortunately, how to confirm if he was from Exeter. (after typing that I've just thought to have a look on his marriage entry and see if it says "of this parish..." - I'll get back to you  :)  )

Ryan

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Yes, his marriage says he was of the parish of St Giles Cripplegate.

Ryan

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Yes, his marriage says he was of the parish of St Giles Cripplegate.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

That doesn't mean he was born in the parish. He may only have been in the parish for 3 weeks (or lied) to make that claim. People moved around a lot in London in the 18th and 19th centuries with an address often being rented on a weekly basis (may explain the baptisms of his children at different churches).

Nigel
Somerset - Barber

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

That did cross my mind. It's a shame that there's little to prove one way or the other if he was from Exeter.

Rather interestingly, I searched the surname Lake and apparently, "This very interesting surname is of early English medieval origins. It is to be found chiefly in the West Country, and is either topographical or locational."

Ryan