Author Topic: Lakes in London  (Read 9237 times)

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lakes in London
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan,

I don't think the Samuel George Lake is relevant since he appears to have been buried at All Souls, Kensal Green on 27 Jul 1843. The burial register gives his age as 'about 67', which would fit with the 1774 baptism. The 1841 census gives his occupation as nightman.

The Edward Lake marriage and information may be relevant. There are baptisms of an Elizabeth Lake (20 Sep 1801) and a James Lake (27 Feb 1803) with parents of Edward and Susanna at Epping, Essex which may be children from this marriage.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Those baptism are at the same time Samuel was having his children so to me it looks like they were definitely siblings, with this and the marriage witnesses. That helps a great deal. I'll search for an Edward Lake and then see if the parents have a Samuel...

Ryan

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:30 GMT (UK) »
No, I don't think Samuel George is relevant either (Samuel George appears in the 1841 census aged 63). I mentioned him to avoid others following that line of enquiry.

There are some more children though:

1815   Edwin
1816   Samuel
1819   Amelia

(all at Minories with Samuel as a tobacconist)

Richard

All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Richard, I didn't see those children. I searched for more after others here posted details of earlier children.

Just out of curiosity, is there anyway to find out what someone died of before 1839/early 40s? Samuel was obviously still having them right up  until his death.

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »

.......... I'll search for an Edward Lake and then see if the parents have a Samuel...

Not sure that I follow.

It appears that Edward is probably a brother of Samuel. We know that Samuel was born about 1781 so that we would expect Edward to have been born within a few years of this. However, we currently have no names for common parents for Samuel and Edward. The Edward born in St Pancras is probably not relevant if Samuel George Lake has been dismissed.

Nigel

Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:37 GMT (UK) »
"Not sure that I follow."

Well I'm not having much luck finding an appropriate Samuel in London, so I thought I'd search for an Edward Lake around this time and if anything comes up then I'll search for a Samuel with the names of parents given on an appropriate Edward's baptism. I use ancestry for most of my searching so the indexed records and everything narrow it down with parents etc.

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan,

If he was born in Devon a possibility is that he moved as a child with his parents (bearing in mind the situation by 1783). You could, therefore, try looking for a family that had children baptised in the West Country up to, say, about 1790 with later baptisms in the East End of London.

Trying to find some local newspaper stories relating to him may help. Did he perhaps leave a will that may provide a clue? Looking at his children in more detail may also provide a clue.

However, as already mentioned there is no evidence at present to conclude that Samuel was from the West Country. 

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Was just re-reading this and was wondering if there was anything in particular his children might yield with regard to West Country or London clues?

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan,

I'm trying to find out what happened to Samuel's children. The later children would have been very young when he died - where and by whom were they brought up (the Samuel Lake baptised in 1816 was buried on 20 Jan 1820 at Holy Trinity Minores)? Can we find any of the children in the 1841 census?

Nigel
Somerset - Barber

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Well it's a bit of an odd set up. In the 1841 Census I can find his wife, Ann, and she is listed as occupation Independent ( certainly looks like that, someone helped me decipher it ages ago), and is living with a Nathaniel and Sarah Burkley and one of her grandchildren, Eliza Apps. Her daughter, Ann born 1805, married Charles Apps and so this is presumably one of their children. So I would guess that their earlier children had moved out and married. Not sure about the younger ones though.

1851, assuming I have the right person ( I think I do) she is living with Harriet Sparrowhawk and Mary Stubbs. Ancestry's taking an age to work so I can't see what her occupation is. It's sometime between now and '61 she's listed as a Doll Maker/Dresser.