Author Topic: Lakes in London  (Read 9238 times)

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lakes in London
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan,

The child I'm looking at is Louisa Ann Lake (born 1803). It looks as if she married a Charles Lake in 1827 at St George in the East. Who was Charles Lake (eg was he a cousin)?

According to the 1851 Census Charles Lake was born in Dunmow, Essex.

If Charles is related and if the Edward discussed earlier had children born in Epping could Samuel perhaps have originated from Essex?

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 06 January 11 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

I've no idea, I haven't come across a Charles Lake before. Ann Lake, the one I mentioned before, married a year later in the same church. He came from Boxgrove in Sussex (Charles Apps). It seems as though they are 'sourcing' their husbands from outside of London.

Perhaps he was a cousin. Are there any listed witnesses?

Ryan

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 06 January 11 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan,

The witnesses to Louisa Ann's wedding are Ann Lake and Stephen Pearson.

Charles was an oilman.

Nigel
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 06 January 11 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

I haven't heard of a Stephen Pearson before, but it seems to be mirroring what happened with their parents. Appearing as witnesses to each other's marriage before marrying in the same church a year later and they returning the favour, as it were. Interesting... :)

Just going back to your post before, did Edward definitely have children baptised in Epping? I suppose it's very possible. I'll search for any Samuels and Edwards baptised/born in Essex.

Ryan

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 06 January 11 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Just going back to your post before, did Edward definitely have children baptised in Epping? I suppose it's very possible. I'll search for any Samuels and Edwards baptised/born in Essex.

Hi Ryan,

Can't confirm, but an Edward and Susanna Lake are named as parents of the two children and the dates of births fit with the date of marriage. Details are from the IGI.

Nigel 
Somerset - Barber

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 06 January 11 07:09 GMT (UK) »
These threads suggest you knew most of what we have told you a year ago (including lots of references to Charles that you say above you have not come across). It would have saved a lot of time to have known this.

http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?p=58802
http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=13521
http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=13538

(Apologies if it is a different Ryan)

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 January 11 09:05 GMT (UK) »
On a more positive note, it may be worth spending £7 on looking at these two wills:

1827: Peter Lake, carpenter, Minories, City of London
1799: Peter Lake, carpenter, Romford, Essex

(probably linked: 1803: Jane Lake, widow, Romford; I think I'd go for this one as husbands often leave everything to their wife and don't mention the children)

The burial records show that Peter died in 1827 aged 60.

I also noted a Margaret Lake b 1768, d Peter and Eleanor Lake, carpenter.

This is very much a longshot, as there is no evidence that they are linked to your family beyond the co-incidence of Minories/Essex. If, however, the wills show that they are linked, there are many more links to explore (such as Clarissa b1819 Barking, Essex d Peter and Dorothy Lake; Peter Lake (wid) m Dorothy Answorth 1799 etc).

You can look at the wills here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=6&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1

Richard

PS I noticed that Charles and Louisa Lake called their first child Susannah. Perhaps they named her after Charles' mother and he is one of Edward and Susannah's children.
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 January 11 15:53 GMT (UK) »
These threads suggest you knew most of what we have told you a year ago (including lots of references to Charles that you say above you have not come across). It would have saved a lot of time to have known this.

http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?p=58802
http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=13521
http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=13538

(Apologies if it is a different Ryan)

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes, those threads are me! Having re-read them I realise that they gave me similar information, however at that time I had no idea how to connect possible siblings - I was only interested in direct relations and didn't realise the value siblings have when getting back to this section. As you say, it was almost a year ago and I completely forgot I even posted that. Another avenue in my tree distracted me and I got completely away from the Lakes for months on end. If I had remembered these names then I would have mentioned it - it was a genuine lapse of memory/mistake.

It's only now that I'm going back to them and this time I'm 'designating' them as a family I'm going to build a detailed (or as detailed as possible) picture of rather than just names and dates. So I apologise effusively for that.

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 08 January 11 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, if you aren't incandescent with rage at me for my mistake (for which, again, I apologise profusely), then I have realised something else. At the marriage of Charles Apps and Ann Lake (1805) the witnesses are a Charles Lake and Eliza Lake. I'll have to re-read this thread to see where Mr Lake comes into it, but he certainly seems like a relative and I line I'll pursue.

Ryan