Author Topic: Lakes in London  (Read 9235 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lakes in London
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 08 January 11 07:04 GMT (UK) »
At the marriage of Charles Apps and Ann Lake (1805) the witnesses are a Charles Lake and Eliza Lake. I'll have to re-read this thread to see where Mr Lake comes into it, but he certainly seems like a relative and I line I'll pursue.

Eliza  is, presumably, Ann's sister.

It's possible that Charles is her cousin (see above) but, yes, he may prove a useful way in.

One of the advantages of being able to see the original marriage entries is that you can compare signatures (if they sign twice). Looking at Charles' two signatures, one looks a little more fluent than the other, but they are probably the same. It may be worth trawling through some other lake marriages to see whether he has witnessed any of his own siblings' marriages.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 08 January 11 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

I see what I can find. Slightly off topic from what you posted, but I have come across a professional genealogist who has 40 years experience in Essex FH. His website notes that he searches Essex baptisms from 1780-1840 - just the right time, or there abouts, for Samuel, if he was born in Essex. In your opinion, do you think it's worth my while enlisting him to search for a Samuel Lake in Essex around this time? I have no experience searching for records outside of London, nor do I have much access outside of the IGI to them.

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Not sure if anyone's still subscribed to this thread, but just a little update: Edward Lake baptism in Theydon Garnon (just east of Epping) Edward son of Samuel and Elizabeth Lake Apr 15, 1781

Also found from the same parents a John Lake ( Feb 13 1780 ) and James ( Dec 4 1785 )

Also bought the Will of Peter Lake of Minories 1827 but cannot decipher it.

Thanks  :)

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Samuel may, therefore, be a younger brother of Edward with parents of Samuel and Elizabeth. Need to look for baptisms in the period 1781-5.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, that's my next step. I did think perhaps Samuel and Edward might be twins but then they'd have appeared on the same baptism...

Ryan

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 19:02 GMT (UK) »
The Peter Lake will says:

The last will and testament of me Peter Lake carpenter residing at No 71 Minories in the city of London. I do hereby give and bequeath to my dear wife Mary Lake of the Minories aforesaid the whole of my estate and effects viz all my stock in trade & utensils book debts cash in Government securities household furniture etc also all cash that may be at the time of my decease in the hands of Mr Thomas Elton at No 129 Whitechapel High Street with all & every thing of which I may be at present or may become possessed of or that may attend to me at or after my decease and I do hereby constitute and appoint my dear wife aforesaid my whole sole and only executrix.
Signed and sealed this 31st day of March in the year of our Lord 1827 Peter Lake
Witness to the signing and sealing this instrument Joshua Joyce 129 Whitechapel High St

Richard

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Richard. Very kind of you. Just posted in the deciphering section, so better go and delete that.  :)

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind, what is the section beneath that? (If you can see it) There's a large heading and it comes after the you posted and before being Proven.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 20:16 GMT (UK) »
It's section where William Bright, a plumber of the Minories, says that he knows Peter Lake's writing well and he is vouching that the will has been written by Peter Lake. It doesn't give any more information than the will does (except that William Bright was a friend or colleague).

No evidence that he was related I'm afraid.

Richard