Author Topic: Lakes in London  (Read 9234 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Lakes in London
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I do't think that you should rely on the West Country story.  There were Lakes in Hertfordshire for a number of centuries.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

I wasn't going to pay too much attention to it. I've searched a lot of locational names/surname origins and it's obviously no sure fire way to determine someone's origin.

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:21 GMT (UK) »
A possible reason why the West Country may be relevant is that Devon, in particular, had strong connections with the tobacco trade. If Samuel was a tobacconist as a result of a family connection then there is a possibility that he may have originated from Devon. The trade in Devon declined significantly after 1783 (ie after US Independence) and which might explain a move to London. However, in the mid-1700s Bideford, Devon imported for a short time more tobacco than anywhere else in the world.

However, the above is only a theory relating to Samuel. He could just as well have been born somewhere else.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Would you happen to have a link to anything that might contain more info on tobacco in Devon? I think Samuel was reasonably wealthy, if not early on then certainly by the end of his life. I'm ignorant when it comes to travel at this time, but do you think it would have cost much to traipse and move all the way over to London if he did originate from Devonshire/West Country?

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan,

It would have taken a lot longer and been on a relative scale more expensive than today to travel from the West Country to London but for someone who was relatively wealthy not too difficult.

The following article regarding Bideford may be of interest:

http://www.bidefordtown.co.uk/tobacco-bideford-quay-sir-richard-grenville-.html

As the article says at the end: 'Its sons and daughters spread far and wide ........'.

Although there isn't a lot on the Internet a Google search will find some information on the tobacco trade connected with the North Devon ports and Bristol.

Nigel
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 January 11 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Thanks very much for that. It's certainly got me thinking; before posting it never really crossed my mind that Samuel might be from outside of London or the South-East.

I'm increasingly buying into the belief that he is probably from Devonshire. Obviously I can't rule anything else out, but in that article you sent, the dates of the War of Independence and his birth/potential move to London seem to tally, as you said previously. Particularly given that you actually found two very possible baptisms. Not really sure where to go from here.

Ryan

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 January 11 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan,

If he was born in Devon a possibility is that he moved as a child with his parents (bearing in mind the situation by 1783). You could, therefore, try looking for a family that had children baptised in the West Country up to, say, about 1790 with later baptisms in the East End of London.

Trying to find some local newspaper stories relating to him may help. Did he perhaps leave a will that may provide a clue? Looking at his children in more detail may also provide a clue.

However, as already mentioned there is no evidence at present to conclude that Samuel was from the West Country. 

Nigel
Somerset - Barber

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
At the moment you have no evidence that he came from Devon, so I would stick with what you know for the time being, particularly as there are candidates in London.

Samuel witnessed at least two London marriages:

Joseph Hewatson to Elizabeth Hammond in 1801 (Joseph witnessed Samuel's marriage to Ann Hammond in 1800, so Elizabeth is presumably Ann's sister)

Edward Lake to Susannah Sams in 1801 (where Elizabeth Hammond was also a witness).

It seems likely to me that Edward is Samuel's brother (his marriage was also in St Giles without Cripplegate) so, for every possible baptism for Samuel, I would look for the same parents having an Edward as well.

This caught my eye for a moment:

Samuel George Lake (b10 Jan; bap 16 Jan 1774) s Arthur/Mary Lake  St Pancras
Edward Lake (b 22 Jun; bap 1778) s Arthur/Mary L:ake  St Pancras

This couple also had George (1779), Arthur (1780) and perhaps others.

The date of birth is out by a few years, but there is also a marriage for a Samuel George Lake in 1815, which seems the more likely person.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

The baptism of Samuel George Lake came up first on all of my searches, but the date really put me off. His burial says aged 38, but I suppose the person writing it could have misheard 48.

Are you saying that Samuel G Lake is the same as the marriage in 1815?

Ryan