Author Topic: Richard Altamont Smythe  (Read 6989 times)

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Altamont Smythe
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 September 11 19:52 BST (UK) »
Here are two pictures of the house I took in 2010 although there is now development around it the shape of the original house can be seen.

Offline dargie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 April 12 01:59 BST (UK) »
I am very anxious to gain some more information on Court na Farraga.  I have a letter written by a great aunt in 1876 from this residence.  Her name was Elizabeth Nicholson. She was marreid to John Nicholson her maiden name was McCullough.

I am hoping to find out what position she held at the house working for Mr Exham a court judge.

Is there some way of finding out more about Mr Exham or any possible way of finding out who worked for him. I have a reference to a Miss Bedlington who was leaving to get married.  I think my aunt was the housekeeper.

Any info greatly received!

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 April 12 18:56 BST (UK) »
1876 is a time before my grandfather was there - also different owner of the property then - hopefully others will have more information. I am still hoping for a follow up response to an earlier e-mail of mine about the Smythe family.

Angela

Offline Tanya Morphett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 June 20 11:14 BST (UK) »
I am very anxious to gain some more information on Court na Farraga.  I have a letter written by a great aunt in 1876 from this residence.  Her name was Elizabeth Nicholson. She was marreid to John Nicholson her maiden name was McCullough.

I am hoping to find out what position she held at the house working for Mr Exham a court judge.

Is there some way of finding out more about Mr Exham or any possible way of finding out who worked for him. I have a reference to a Miss Bedlington who was leaving to get married.  I think my aunt was the housekeeper.

Any info greatly received!

Hi, Elizabeth Nicholson (nee McCullough) is my 4x Gt Aunt.  She was not the housekeeper for the Exham's .  She built the house in 1865 after the death of her infant daughter and husband leaving her.  I have a copy of her will where she states "And where as I built the house known as Court -na-farraga and other buildings on the grounds leased to me by Mr Chayter at Killiney - aforesaid by lease dated fifteenth July One thousand eight hundred and sixty seven with the intention of assigning them to my friends the said Mr & Mrs Exham for their lives and afterwards for the benefit of their children And whereas by deed poll under my hand dated the Seventh November One thousand eight hundred and seventy five......."  The understanding was that Elizabeth continues to live in the home for the rest of her natural life.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 June 20 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Stareleigh

My relative William Warren was a Gardener at Court na Farrage in 1936 and I have a photo of him and his wife Sigrid, standing on the terrace outside the house. 

Wonder who owned the house at that time.

Cheers

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 June 20 20:37 BST (UK) »
1936 would still be someone from the Smythe family, probably one of the daughters.

Angela

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 June 20 15:26 BST (UK) »

Hi ANM

Thanks.

Regards

Offline felixquaxer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 June 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
The following are from Thoms Directory as occupiers
  1911  Capt. R.A.Smythe J.P.
   1934  Miss Olive Smythe
    1941  Court na Farrage Hotel   Mr & Mrs David Blair O'Flaherty (Props)

In 1941 -Mrs(sic) Olive Smythe was the occupier of Mizpah.

Felixquaxer