Author Topic: Broughton Road,St.Cuthberts,Edinburgh.  (Read 9005 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Broughton Road,St.Cuthberts,Edinburgh.
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to get some background information about the area my GGGG grandparents died.One for certain was at 59 Broughton Road,St.Cuthberts.I would appreciate any information on this area in the 1840's/50's.Thank you.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Broughton Road,St.Cuthberts,Edinburgh.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:59 GMT (UK) »
This appears to be a duplicate of your request on

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,504570.0/topicseen.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,yes I had it on Scotland General and then thought it would be better on a more local board.Mods if I am only allowed one then remove the one on General.Thank you very much ;)

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 11 00:19 GMT (UK) »
If you Google for "59 Broughton Road, Edinburgh", you will find a map showing its location, and a photograph showing how it looks today. The area is mostly buildings with flats/apartments, and they may have been built before 1840.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 11 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ian,I will go have a look.

George.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 January 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
George,

Have a look at the large OS town plans on the National Library of Scotland site and compare it with a modern map to get your bearings.  59 Broughton Street is around Logie Mill and Beaver Hall area (bottom right quadrant) on the map on this link:

http://maps.nls.uk/townplans/view/?sid=74415417&mid=edinburgh1056_1_nw

This is the earliest OS map of the city and shows some building in the area, but not that much. 

This one:

http://maps.nls.uk/townplans/view/?sid=74415635&mid=edinburgh1056_2_nw

is 1876 and you can see the changes.

For old photos of Edinburgh (although not necessarily as early as 1840s or 1850s) try:

http://www.capitalcollections.org.uk/
http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 January 11 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those links Nell but how very strange.On that first map it looks like a well laid out and prosperous area with big houses,well the parts that are built on.My GGGG grandfather was a village postmaster,unless he and his wife were a septugenarian Bonnie and Clyde I can't see how they could afford to live there.
Going to go back for an in depth study.Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year Nell.

George.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 January 11 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Ah ha,on the later map it's behind a chemical works, that's more like it. ;D

George.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 January 11 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Bother!!! hold the bus.I have gone back to look again and thanks to an entry further up can now make out it's Broughton Street,not Road.The only one I can find is EH 1.That can't be right as St.Cuthberts is west of the castle is it not?

George.