Author Topic: Broughton Road,St.Cuthberts,Edinburgh.  (Read 9003 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Broughton Road,St.Cuthberts,Edinburgh.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 June 11 14:54 BST (UK) »
Wow brilliant,hello Elle and welcome to Roots Chat.That clears up a mystery for me as on the entry for Agnes in the register of deaths says she was 'relict of Peter' which made me think he was still alive but obviously it referred to the son.I have since found out that Peter (the father) died in Hermiston in 1844.I think another son Alexander was also in Broughton Street.Which of the children are you descended from,I am from George born in Currie in 1805.I don't have anything much on Agnes yet only possible parents but do have some docs for Peter,birth,parents marriage etc and am quite happy to share them with you.
You will need two more posts before you can contact using Personal Message,reply to this and one more and you are there.

Great to hear from you.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi George

The tenements in Broughton Street seem to have been constructed between 1832 and 1836, judging from two maps of those vintages.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Hibee,thanks for that,they must have been fairly new when my lot moved in then.I hope to be in Edinburgh soon so can go and check them out.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
Re your post of yesterday....."relict" is a Scots word for widow.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hibee,I thought it meant relation.Now it makes sense as Peter was an ex Peter by this time.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
....."relict" is a Scots word for widow.

It's used south of the border too.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ellef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 23:58 BST (UK) »
Wow brilliant,hello Elle and welcome to Roots Chat.That clears up a mystery for me as on the entry for Agnes in the register of deaths says she was 'relict of Peter' which made me think he was still alive but obviously it referred to the son.I have since found out that Peter (the father) died in Hermiston in 1844.I think another son Alexander was also in Broughton Street.Which of the children are you descended from,I am from George born in Currie in 1805.I don't have anything much on Agnes yet only possible parents but do have some docs for Peter,birth,parents marriage etc and am quite happy to share them with you.
You will need two more posts before you can contact using Personal Message,reply to this and one more and you are there.

Great to hear from you.

George.
Hi George, wondered if it was you.
The term "Relict" is just another word for widow and would refer to her husband Peter Wardlaw.  Don't have my books in front of me at the moment, and it is quite late, but will get back to you on your comments. Need to read what I have . Looking forward to hearing from you again. Regards, Lois

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Lois,I think if I am right George is also who you are descended from and also his son Peter.I think it's from Peter's children we diverge isn't it.Me from George and you from John or Peter.

If this sounds confusing to anyone else,it's ok Lois will know what I mean ;D

Offline Ellef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 June 11 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi George, yes you are correct. Descended from George Wardlaw 1805 and his wife Agnes Torrance, and then from Peter Wardlaw and Janet Brown.
As you may have said,Peter wardlaw died 1843 Hermiston aged 78, and had been postmaster there. Agnes ( Wallace) died 1844, aged 76,  at 59 Broughton Street,  Edinburgh, the home of their son, Alexander  Wardlaw ( born 1802) and his wife, Mary Smith . ( not Peter as I stated earlier) The confusion arises because Peter  ( born 1799) lived Broughton Road, Edinburgh, which I would assume was pretty near broughton Street.
Hope this helps.
Lois