Author Topic: Broughton Road,St.Cuthberts,Edinburgh.  (Read 9004 times)

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Broughton Road,St.Cuthberts,Edinburgh.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 January 11 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seoras,

I thought that too about St. Cuthbert but if you look at this map (1837)
http://maps.nls.uk/towns/view/?id=421
It shows the parish boundary in red, and the area you want falls within St Cuthbert.
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Heedrapper,I can see that now.Having picked out some of the landmarks I will jump on Google Earth and see if any are still there.I am still puzzled as to how they got here.He was the postmaster at Hermiston still at 77 in 1843.Agnes his wife dies at Broughton St the next year.Even if they were forced to retire,why move from their home village at this age.I wonder if seances work,I need to talk to some ancestors ;D

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 January 11 21:27 GMT (UK) »
59 Broughton Street shows as a tenement block, but this does not mean it was an area or poor housing.  This is in the New Town - four floors above the shop at ground level and basement below.  The buildings in the Old Town can be eleven floors on some sides of the street.

This map shows the building layout (and includes the parish!):

http://maps.nls.uk/townplans/view/?sid=74415432&mid=edinburgh1056_1_nw

A busy part of town now.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 January 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Excellent Nell,I can see it clearly now and yes it is in St.Cuthberts.One is able to order copies of these maps,is that right? Still wondering how they afforded it,they must have raided the post office and done a runner,well being in their 70's more of a hobble ;)

Thank you all

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 January 11 22:56 GMT (UK) »
George, one more point of interest. If you Google for 'Broughton Street, Edinburgh" (don't include 59), you should reach a street scene, and by using the rotation button you can see 59 as it is today. It is close to Albany Street/Forth Street intersection.

Broughton Street used to have tram cars on it which ran from Leith St./Walk through Canonmills to Goldenacre (and perhaps farther, but that was my ride)

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 January 11 23:16 GMT (UK) »
That's great Ian,I have just been on the street.Some of those buildings look like they may have been there some time.I wonder if they were there by 1840.Like Nell says I guess they would have been tenements.More to search out when I come up there in the Spring,I am going to need more time,I already have to go to Linlithgow,Bo'ness,Stirling,Elie,Stonehouse,Torpichen,Currie,Ratho,etc etc.Thankfully most are in West Lothian area.

George.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 15:34 GMT (UK) »
A' Sheorais,
You have a marvellous odyssey ahead of you, and I am envious. Enjoy!

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I can't wait Ian,I was 5 when I left Scotland,lots to discover,I think I need about 6 months though ;D

George.

Offline Ellef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 June 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Heedrapper,I can see that now.Having picked out some of the landmarks I will jump on Google Earth and see if any are still there.I am still puzzled as to how they got here.He was the postmaster at Hermiston still at 77 in 1843.Agnes his wife dies at Broughton St the next year.Even if they were forced to retire,why move from their home village at this age.I wonder if seances work,I need to talk to some ancestors ;D

George.
Hi there, I am descended from Peter  and Agnes. After the death of Peter , Agnes went to Broughton Street to live with her son, also Peter and his wife and  family.