Author Topic: Turnbull - Cramlington 1800 to 1945  (Read 25966 times)

Offline pete ash

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull - Cramlington 1800 to 1945
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 15 January 11 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, managed to obtain a copy of the marriage cert today, having trouble uploading to this site tho

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 15 January 11 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pete, that is marvellous. Wow, what a difference to the writing on my GRO certificate. This has led me to another question that may have been asked elsewhere.
When one wishes to purchase a certificate is it better to obtain from the County Record Office? Do they do this sort of thing?
Turnbull - (Cramlington - Northumberland)
Turnbull - (South Shields - Durham)
Winn - (Morpeth -  Northumberland)
Hill - (Staffordshire - [Wednesfield] - Shropshire [Pontesbury])
Bedwell - ([Leiston] - Suffolk) - ([London] Middlesex)
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 16 January 11 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Until a few years ago the only place I know of that gave you an actual copy (as in photocopy) of a marriage on to certifcate paper was Sunderland.  I don't know if other record offices are doing that now or not.  Sunderland only did marriages and not birth reigstrations.  Most record offices write the certificates out themselves and you don't get the original handwriting.

You could write the record office and pay the fee and they will copy (photocopy) the marriage if it was in a church and mail it to you.  If you knew the place and date--would cost less than I certificate I believe.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pete ash

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 17 January 11 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say that Roberts occupation on his marriage cert was "coalcutter"

The other witness at the wedding was a Jane Gill. According to freebmd there was a Jane Gill born Morpeth 1901 then i caught my eye on a Jane Turnbull Gill born Tynemouth 1898. May be worth looking up the 1901c for her parents.

Pete

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 17 January 11 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Pete. I eventually summised coalcutter was the occ. Jane Gill confirms something as well now. I had originally thought from GRO cert that the witness was Jane Hill - Jane Hill is the maiden name of Jessie's mother. Jane Hill married William Wallace Winn occ butcher. So here was I thinking why Hill on her daughter's marriage certificate - divorced maybe. But no thanks to your note Gill. I will look further into the other information you provided.
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 17 January 11 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Jane Turnbull Gill
Born Tynemouth 1898 AMJ 10b 242
Died Tynemouth 1898 JAS 10b 172 Age 0

So, Jane Gill Morpeth (county Durham?? Morpeth in Durham not NBL??)
JAM 10b 414 - maybe a better option. Haven't found a Jane Gill in 1911 census yet. Only 10 so name change is not a consideration. I suspect she will may be a childhood friend of Jessie, Jessie born Hepscott lived in Coal Burn 1901 and 1911 census.
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline pete ash

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 17 January 11 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Pity about that Jane dying. i thought that may have been a good lead. Morpeth is deffo northumberland. A registration district as well as a  town

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 27 January 11 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I have now journeyed to Northumberland just back this evening. Visited St Mary the Virgin Parish Church in Morpeth (means "murder path"), very nice and peaceful, however, closed. Over to the Morpeth Registrar Office and a young lady there searched the Cramlington Parish records (originals) - to no avail. No Robert the son of Robert born in 1892/93. Lindsey called and she checked Bedlington as well. They all confirmed no result, also Hexham a no. Even checked with Chevington - no 1 only father William. 

Visited the Morpeth Parish office Wednesday and a lovely lady gave me a double sided A4 information sheet on St Mary church, which I appreciate, over to Cramlington for a quick look around St Nicholas church before going to Woodhorn Archives. I am impressed! The staff were most accommodating and listened to my plight and put me onto the Cramlington Parish Records that go well into the c20 - found my mother's and her sister Elizabeth's christening at St Nicholas, not my grandfather's - in fact hardly any Turnbulls. Did find Robert Turnbull (59) burial record dying in infirmary in Newcastle "late of Cramlington" in May1897. Remembering on my grandfather's marriage cert his father Robert is deceased. So if - a big if he bore a son when he was 54 or so. Can happen, then maybe he is the great grandfather. Do I hunt him down and see if he was from somewhere else? Onward and forward I hope.
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 27 January 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't help with your search for Robert, but I'm busy reading a book about Bonnie Prince Charlie, and Sir Lancelot Allgood get a few mentions. He was a rich landowner, lived at Nunwick Hall, Simonburn. Big supporter of King George, rallied the Northumberland Militia against the Scots etc. Gained a lot of favours for supporting King George after Culloden. Later knighted and served as MP for Northumberland. Maybe he's the root of all the Lancelot Allgood Turnbulls.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins