Author Topic: Ancestor born on Bay of Biscay  (Read 7580 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor born on Bay of Biscay
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 December 22 19:37 GMT (UK) »
If it helps - there are British Armed Forces Births and Baptisms and Overseas Births and Baptisms on the Find My Past website. These include those children born prior to Civil Registration AND include births/baptisms of children to British Civilians - where the child had been born abroad or at sea.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/british-armed-forces-and-overseas-births-and-baptisms

I doubt that it is a comprehensive list - but I found one for a friend, whose ancestor was 'born at sea off Malta' on the census -- the birth was registered at the first port of call - Gibraltar. It was after Civil Registration and I was able to obtain the birth cert. from the GRO.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 17:47 GMT (UK) »
If it helps - there are British Armed Forces Births and Baptisms and Overseas Births and Baptisms on the Find My Past website. These include those children born prior to Civil Registration AND include births/baptisms of children to British Civilians - where the child had been born abroad or at sea.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/british-armed-forces-and-overseas-births-and-baptisms

I doubt that it is a comprehensive list - but I found one for a friend, whose ancestor was 'born at sea off Malta' on the census -- the birth was registered at the first port of call - Gibraltar. It was after Civil Registration and I was able to obtain the birth cert. from the GRO.

That's very interesting - thanks for posting.  My 3rd Great-Grandaunt, Mary Ann Horton, was born on 14th July 1786 in the Bay of Biscay.  I know her parents were George and Mary Horton.

I can't find her birth record on Find my Past - wondering if it is a bit early for records.  On the 1861 census, however, she records her place of birth as Gibraltar/British Subject so I'm now wondering if this is similar to your friend's relative and that Gibraltar was the first port of call after her birth in the Bay of Biscay.  She had previously always recorded her birth place as Bay of Biscay. 

I'm interested in trying to find out a bit more as we can find no record of her brother Thomas Horton (my 3rd Great Grandfather) and I'm wondering if he was also born abroad.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi ResearchJu,

I can't find them either, even though some of the results are supposedly from the GRO indices from 1761. How very frustrating.

So sorry that dataset didn't help -- but you never know, one day it may come in useful if you are helping someone else.

Hope springs eternal!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi ResearchJu,

I can't find them either, even though some of the results are supposedly from the GRO indices from 1761. How very frustrating.

So sorry that dataset didn't help -- but you never know, one day it may come in useful if you are helping someone else.

Hope springs eternal!!

Thanks very much!