Author Topic: Elizabeth Griffiths, b Jersey c.1826  (Read 13724 times)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Griffiths, b Jersey c.1826
« on: Tuesday 04 January 11 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm a total beginner at searching the Channel Islands and if anyone has any ideas around this they'd be gratefully received.   This is what I have on this lady so far:

Elizabeth Griffiths (spelt Griffith just once but otherwise with the 's') gives her birthplace as Jersey in all later records.  Approx year 1826.
1851 census: Very very strong possibility.   Living at 73 London Road, Liverpool, single, a Milliner, age 26, born Jersey
1860 Marriage to George Whitehead, Ormskirk, Lancashire.  Q4, Vol 8b, P 930.
1861 census: The newlyweds are living at 127 Lord Street, Southport, where George is a Jeweller.  Elizabeth gives her age as 34, born Jersey.  Sometime around 1866, George dies.
1871 census: Elizabeth is widowed and living at 169 Lord Street with her 9 year old son, Thomas.  Elizabeth seems to be carrying on the business herself as she is described as a Jeweller, and gives her age as 45.

By the 1881 census Thomas is living with his Uncle and I can't find Elizabeth.  There are several possible deaths in Lancashire between 1871 and 1881 that might be her, and that's work in progress.

This post is a bit of a cheek because if I realise if I sent for their wedding certificate that might give me her father's name.   Like so many, I'm trying to limit the amount of certificates I buy at present but do appreciate there may be no other option.   I've tried Lancashire on line Parish Clerks but it doesn't look as if they married in any of the Parish Churches in the area, and nothing comes up in the Free sites (like Family Search pilot) that gives me any further detail.

If Elizabeth Griffiths rings a bell with anyone on the CI board, or you have any suggestions as to how best to track any record of her from her birth in Jersey to her (probable) appearance in Liverpool in 1851 they'd be gratefully received.  Thanks for reading this.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Griffiths, b Jersey c.1826
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I shall be at the Archive tomorrow and will look it up for you.

Stewart

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Stewart, how kind!     I was expecting to be told 'go and buy the marriage certificate you cheapskate!' not an offer like that.   Whether you find anything or not, I really appreciate the help
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 23:25 GMT (UK) »
1841 Jersey cen. has 2:
Elizabeth c.1820/Fa.John/Ma.Elizabeth
Eliza c.1826/in service. No obvious parents.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Still not totally clear but I'll list what I found.

There is a baptism for Elizabeth Jersey Griffiths, 28th Aug 1825 at St Saviours Parish Church. Father is listed as George Griffiths and mother Mary Ann. Unusually for Jersey it did not say what the mother's maiden name was (unless it was Griffiths!). God-parents were Philippe Sinel, Sabina H Boreham and Catherine Hogg.

That seemed to be it until I found the baptism of Eliza Griffiths at St Helier Parish Church on 26th Jan 1831. Parents were again George and Mary Ann and god-parents Philippe Sinel and Charlotte Babot.

This made me think that the first Elizabeth had died and the second was really Elizabeth. However I could not find a death for the Elizabeth and therefore concluded that they were indeed two seperate children.

I also noted that there were other children to George and Mary Ann. Edward was baptised 19th Jan 1828 but sadly died 26th Jan 1828. There was also a Marie Ann baptised 23rd Nov 1826. God-parents were George Boreham, Sabina Agnes Boreham (nee 17th Sep 1825 a Bridport) Both of these baptisms were at St Saviour.

I think at the end of the day your going to have to look at Elizabeth's marriage certificate, only then will it prove who was her father unless you can tie-in the siblings.

Stewart

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Stewart, thank you so much!
I certainly will order the certificate now because if you've gone to such trouble to find a birth the least I can do is check if that's my Elizabeth.

Jim, thank you, I'll have a look at those census records.   I did find one already, I think it may be the 20 year old but I'd not been at all sure if was her.   I'll take another look, and check out the Eliza one as well..

Elizabeth or Eliza?   Interesting, I'll get the cetificate and come back with what I find.      New Year on Rootschat and nothing changes - people are both knowledgeable and kind.

Thanks again to both of you,
Maggie

Offline judypur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie and Stewart,

I found this post very interesting as I have an Elizabeth Jessy Griffiths from Jersey in my tree as well (although she married somone else).  It was interesting that two records were found.

But thought I'd share what I have in case it helps prove or disprove something you have:
Elizabeth Jessy Griffiths (known as Eliza) married a Job King Element in Victoria, Australia in 24th June 1853.  On her death certificate is states she was born in Jersey, Channel Islands.  She died at age at age 49 in 1875 which would make her birthdate about 1825/1826.   On her death cert it lists a Mary Griffiths (nee Green) as her mother and a Thomas Griffiths "Officer in the Army" as her father.   However another family member said that they feel the "Thomas" may be an error.

However, from reading your post, I'm thinking that we're both looking at the same Elizabeth as an our ancestor and it would appear that she can't be in England and Australia when she got married.  I wouldn't have thought "Jessy" to be a common name in that era so I'm hoping I could purchase the records that Jim found to see it either of the records he found has "Jessy" as a second name.

Do you know, is their anywhere where I can look up Jersey Birth and Marriage records online as I'm in Australia so it's the only way I can look.  I am happy to purchase certificates to try and sort this out but have no idea where to go to do so for the Channel Islands.

Thanks
Judy

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 August 11 11:02 BST (UK) »
Channel Is. info. here:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ehs/
jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline judypur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 August 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim.

Unfortunately I didn't had any luck but thankyou very much for the link.