Author Topic: Where were these construction workers in London, when photographed?  (Read 21041 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Where were these construction workers in London, when photographed?
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 15:17 GMT (UK) »
The marks on one of the beams could well be GNR, or maybe GER, respectively Great Northern and Great Eastern Railway Companies as both had London termini. If the beam had seen previous service as a track support (sleeper) that it is possible that in that era company names were stenciled on some in a consignment by the suppliers.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Just a few thoughts which popped into my head as I have read through all the posts on this fascinating subject:

I wonder why the photograph was taken. Maybe someone just wanted a photo of the workteam or perhaps something significant had happened (I've no suggestion as to what that might be) and I wonder, could this image have appeared in a newspaper? Would a group of workmen normally have attracted the attention of passersby; there is certainly a very interested group at the back.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Would a group of workmen normally have attracted the attention of passersby; there is certainly a very interested group at the back.

It's the camera which attracts attention. Look at any live news clip on TV
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 17:50 GMT (UK) »
A rhetorical question. Something significant might have happened and this photo could have been included in a newspaper article. If so, it would explain everything. Just a thought. The detective work on this thread has been terrific!
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Marengo

• RootsChat Member
  • Mother: The Best Thing Before Sliced Bread
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 13 January 11 02:25 GMT (UK) »
This is really only a small 'aside' comment and possibly not pertinent considering the current tenor of the thread - but I mention it because it's a great pic and I've only just chanced upon it.
I noticed a couple of earlier contributors alluded to the trousers being tied below the knee.
In New Zealand and Australia these straps, or thongs that hold the trousers just below the knees are called bowyangs.
They are tied  just above the calves.
Their simple function is to bunch a little of the material above the thong, with the sole purpose of stopping the trousers falling down. (Notice the gathered material above the knees of the chap as he stands second from left).
They were seen as a necessity for those who worked at a job with a lot of leg-bending. It is very much the same as a pulling up the knees of trousers before sitting down. ('Builder's Cr...k' just wasn't acceptable in those days of yore.)
Bowyangs are still extensively used by shearers of sheep in this part of the world - and it isn't through modesty, but rather the circumvention of the necessity to continually hitch up ones trousers  when both hands are otherwise occupied.
Hope this helps in the greater scheme of things.
Ed
EYRE :        Sheffield - Yorkshire
COX:          City of Oxford
NASH:         Edmonton - Middlesex
CULL:          Canterbury - Kent
GILLIES:      Paisley - Renfrewshire
O'CONNOR: Limerick, Ireland  ~ 57th Regiment of Foot
                                     (Crimea,India,New Zealand)

The trouble with the world is that it's the stupid who know all the answers.

Offline Jocie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 13 January 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Would a group of workmen normally have attracted the attention of passersby; there is certainly a very interested group at the back.

Sorry for wandering slightly off topic but I can't help thinking of the similarity to the painting by Ford Maddox Brown in 1865
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Madox_Brown
These men were apparently working on the new drainage system.
Jo
LANCASTER - London Kent Sussex Croydon
CLEMMANS - London Kent Sussex
ROCHE - London
WARE - Kent
SPENCER - Kent
NEWNHAM - Sussex
FISHER - London Norfolk
DENNINGTON - London
MONTAGUE - Kent

Any census lookups are Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 13 January 11 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
I realise that we're competing now with other lovely threads on here, particularly the one: "Great-Gran on a Motorbike", but this particular one has been a real revelation - and nearly a hundred posts - and the last two contributions by Marengo and Jocie add more colour and interest to what has been a fascinating exploration of a hundred-year-old black and white photo...
Marengo, I've just re-watched the 1960's (?) comedy: "They're a Weird Mob", in which an immigrant Italian tries to make his way in Australia, having to start earning his money by labouring.  Though I think he was in shorts rather than with bowyangs hitching up his trouser legs!
The Ford Madox Brown painting of the gang of workmen in Heath St., Hampstead is one that I've always liked ...
Many thanks, keith

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 13 January 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Without going into too much detail I can tell you that the works are nothing at all to do with railways.

At the time the photo was taken the nearest underground railway was to the south at Shoreditch and that line ran predominantly east - west.

The over ground lines that are nearest to the location of the photo are high up on viaducts and embankments. The line that runs north - south from Bethnal Green to Hackney Downs was opened in 1872.

So nothing at all to do with railways.  :)

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 13 January 11 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Correct. The nearest rail line in 1905 ran across the road on a steel box bridge about 200 metres from where the photo was taken, which is still there.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk