Author Topic: Look-up William Setchell c 1830  (Read 8029 times)

Offline sunshine333

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Look-up William Setchell c 1830
« on: Friday 15 April 05 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for a William Setchell, born c 1830 De-on-Bedfordshire (from shipping record) father Joseph.Any help would be greatly appreciated...Rob

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up William Setchell c 1830
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 08:12 BST (UK) »
I told you about the only one [SETCHEL] in Dean in 1851...now, you say you are interested in Bedford NOT Dean?

Ok...1851 census index SETCHELL [page 88/89]

Ann, age 27 b Bedford
Charles, 10 b Bedford
Mary, 29 b Bedford
Sarah, 59 b Bedford
Thomas, 61 b Keysoe

Are you sure William's father wasnt George SETCHELL and Mary FAIRY who married in Dean?

George, 22 b Bedford

Then on page 154 there is an Alfred, aged 9 b Bedford too... that's it just 6 of them listed for the town of Bedford.

1 person in Dean as I told you.
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline sunshine333

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 April 05 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy, Thank you for your help, sorry if I am messing up the place name, I did not know they were different...On William,s death . it showed his father as Joseph, but
he named his 1st daughter MARY FAIRY, and thanks to you ....that is the name of his wife.   I think George is the right one.   Anymore info on this family?
I live in Aust. and it is hard to research from here...I appreciate your help.
Bye for now...Rob

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 April 05 11:08 BST (UK) »
Rob

I will look for SETCHEL/L in the archives tomorrow and see if there is any info on them.  SETCHELL is a pretty rare name but FAIRY isn't around here.

Was your William still about in 1851..I can't see him in the indexes.  I will check out the 1841 census for Dean - he'd be about 20 then? And I'll look up the marriage for George and Mary FAIRY and for any burials in Dean. 

Am a bit puzzled by him thinking his dad's name was Joseph?!  People sometimes get their place of birth muddled [if they move as babies and dont remember but not usually parents names!]

Beds Archives have an on-line search site with about quarter of their data listed [but it is growing] + try the "A2A" site.  And the National Archives site too.

Will be in touch tomorrow evening

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 April 05 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

Good to see through others that you are progessing.

Try the link Cathy mentions for Bedfordshire as there are Setchell noted.

http://blars.adlibsoft.com/

Cheers Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 April 05 17:06 BST (UK) »
Rob

Was your William still about in 1851..I can't see him in the indexes.  I will check out the 1841 census for Dean - he'd be about 20 then? And I'll look up the marriage for George and Mary FAIRY and for any burials in Dean. 

Beds Archives have an on-line search site with about quarter of their data listed [but it is growing] + try the "A2A" site.  And the National Archives site too.

Will be in touch tomorrow evening

cathy

that will be next week, I will be in touch

Offline sunshine333

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 April 05 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the help, you will never know how much I appreciate your kindness.   I have been researching for 5 years and I am new to Rootschat, cannot believe how helpful you all are.
All I have on William Setchell, I think he arrived in Aust. 1853 on 'Hereford' (ship)  it said he came from De-on-Bedfordshire(that is how it was spelt).   He was married to Mary ? and his first child was Mary Fairy Setchell, then Will.Sam. then George ..you can see the names are similiar.   I cannot find a marriage for him to Mary.   On bdm, index Aust. it showed his father as Joseph on his death.
Please do not go to, too much trouble, I do not want to be a pest.
Bye for now...Rob

Offline sunshine333

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 November 05 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy, you were going to get back to me after a visit to the archives in April, re marriage of Setchell to Mary Fairy....have you had a chance to look yet ? Appreciate your help....Rob

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 November 05 02:05 GMT (UK) »
I had completely forgot and no excuses!

He should be about 10 in 1840 [it will not give relationships of members of household].  There may be a marriage for him in Dean [or banns if he married in another village]?

Will be in touch - promise!