Author Topic: Look-up William Setchell c 1830  (Read 8028 times)

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up William Setchell c 1830
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 November 05 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I had a look on the Dean census for 1841 and could find no SETCHELLs at all- I also looked in Keysoe as there is a link with that village too [see below].  There are no SATCHELL/SETCHELL Wills in the archives or gaol records.

Firstly, marriage of George SETCHELL & Mary FAIRY on the 28th Aug 1821.  Mary signes her name/ George makes his mark +.  Their witnesses were Charles DAVIES [?] and Judith SETCHELL

Some christenings/marriages/deaths take place  in Dean/some in Keysoe.  Here is what I have found:

1753: christening - Jonathon, son of John & Sarah [24th March/Dean]
1757: christening - Thomas, son of John & Sarah [31st Mar/Dean]
1770: burial - Sarah, wife of John [labourer, 23rd Dec/ Dean]
1771: marriage - John, labourer & Jane CLAPHAM [widow, 26th May/ Dean]
1779: burial - John [labourer, 1st Jan/Dean]
1779: marriage - Thomas marries Mary NEWHAM [5th March/Keysoe]
1780: christening - Muriah, daughter of Jonathon & Mary [27th Feb/Dean]
1781: christening - Thomas, son of Thomas & Mary [29th April/ Keysoe, father was parish clerk]
1781: burial - Thomas, son of Thomas & Mary [ 6th May/Keysoe, father was parish clerk]
1783: christening - William Newman, son of Thomas & Mary [ 26th Nov/Keysoe, father was the parish clerk]
1783: burial - William, son of Thomas and 'the late Mary' [27th Nov/Keysoe]
1783: burial - Mary, wife of Thomas  [27th Nov/Keysoe]
1785: marriage - Thomas [widowed] & Martha FLANDERS [21st Feb/Keysoe]
1787: christening - Cath, daughter of Thomas & Martha  [private christening performed by the Rector of Pertenhall on 15th Sept/ Keysoe]
1788: christening - Pru, daughter of Thomas & Matha [3rd Oct/ Keysoe]
1790: burial - Pru, daughter of Thomas & Martha [27th April/Keysoe, father was parish clerk]
1790: burial - cath, daughter of Thomas & Martha [ 17th July/Keysoe]
1793: christening - John, son of Thomas & Martha [16th May/ Keysoe, aged 6 months, father was parish clerk]
1793: burial - John, son of Thomas & Martha [18th Dec/Keysoe]
1794: christening - Elisha, son of Thomas & Martha [11th Jan/ Keysoe, father was parish clerk]
1798: christening - George, son of Thomas & martha [13th April/Keysoe]
1802: christening - Kitty, daughter of Thomas & Martha [aged 17th months on 29th May/ Keysoe]
1802: christening - Kitty, daughter of Thomas & Martha [30th May / Dean]
1804: christening - Judith, daughter of Thomas & Martha [22nd May/ Dean]
1807: christening - George, son of Thomas & Martha [10th Oct/ Dean]
1810: christening - John, son of Thomas & Sarah [12th June/Dean - from Bedford]
1817: marriage - Elisha & Ann CHERRY [24th Jan/Dean - Elisha signs register]
1820: burial - Martha, aged 59 [22nd April/ Upper Dean]
1821: marriage - George & Mary FAIRY [see above]
1822: burial - Mary Malvina [? aged 16 weeks, 7th March/Upper Dean]
1822: christening - George Lewis, son of George & Mary [14th April/Upper Dean - father was a labourer]
1822: christening - Rich, son of Rich & Cecilia [27th Oct/Upper Dean - father was a carpenter]
1822: christening - Oliver, son of George & Mary [20th Dec/Upper Dean - father was a labourer]
1827: christening - ? Fairy, son of George & Mary [ 27th May/Upper Dean - father was a labourer]
1831: christening - Eliza, daughter of Elisha & Ann [date? Upper Dean - father a cordwainer]
1831: burial - Elisha - [aged 37 years on 13th March 1831]
1841: burial - Thomas [aged 85 years on 6th Feb/Upper Dean.  Note: he was parish clerk]

The Catherine SETCHELL aged 52 on the 1851 census is an unmarried 52 year old lace maker, possibly the 'Kitty' who was christened [twice?] in 1802?

Let me know if there is anything else I could look up?

Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 November 05 05:10 GMT (UK) »
I had a look too in the 1841 but couldn't see any Setchells. But my copy of the census is strange in that the piece is for Nether and Upper Dean, but there are no entries for Upper Dean, and the piece stops abruptly without the usual summary pages. I wonder if the Upper Dean pages may be missing? Was the copy that you checked the same Cathy?

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 November 05 14:08 GMT (UK) »
David

You night be right I was just concentrating on surname - then I went straight to Keysoe to see if they were there.  I'll have to have another look next time I am in Bedford.

It is strange that Catherine 'Kitty' SETCHELL wasnt there as she is in the 1851..

Interestingly, I found this in National Archives:

WO 97/741/110 WILLIAM SETCHELL Born KEYSOE, Bedfordshire Served in 60th Foot Regiment Discharged aged 22 1846-1848

WO 97/1036/92 WILLIAM SETCHELL Born KEYSOE, Bedfordshire Served in 95th Foot Regiment Discharged aged 22 1846-1848

If he was aged 22 in 1848, he is too old anyway!

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline sunshine333

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 November 05 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for the help..I really appreciate your efforts..have a great day..Rob

Offline Earlgrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 November 05 16:36 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 Census for Dean does in fact have an entry for Setchell. Thomas Setchell is shown aged 84 a "Schoolmaster" born in county (Beds), then there is Kitty Setchell, his daughter (who was deaf and dumb from birth and who never married and buried at Dean 30 January 1880 - she was also receiving Parish Relief 1842-1874) aged 40 born county, Delia Setchell aged 13 born county and Emma Setchell 11 born county.
In the 1851 census Catherine Setchell can be found living with the Child family in Dean (HO107/1750/page14schedule 51) aged 52 Lace Maker.
Thomas was Churchwarden at Dean for over 20 years.
Kitty (Catherine) Setchell's brother (one of them) - Elisha Setchell born 1794, married an Ann Cherry (daughter of John Cherry) and they moved to Mildenhall in Suffolk. But as a report in Keysoe Parish records show that went wrong for him when his "Master" failed and the couple with their two children (one of whom Mary Malvina Setchell was baptised in Mildenhall in 1822) moved back to Dean.
Thomas Setchell senior and John Cherry asked for funds to help Elisha on his return to Dean. Elisha remained in Dean/Keysoe as a "cordwainer" until his death in 1831.
Our interest in Setchell lies with Elisha and Kitty's brother George Setchell who married Mary Fairey in 1821 in Dean. George and Mary (Fairey) had George Lewis Setchell (1822); Oliver Setchell (1822); Joseph Fairey Setchell 1827 and Isaac Setchell (1828.
George Lewis Setchell married Emma Shelton in London in 1842 and they moved to Lambeth.
Their family consisted of Joseph; William, and Katherine Setchell.
George Lewis Setchell had died pre-1861 leaving Emma a widow in Lambeth.
Their son Joseph Setchell born in Newington, Surrey leads on and links through to a series of generations to the present day in Australia.

Offline sunshine333

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Earlgrey, thanks for the info..I am confused..my William Setchell started having children in Aust.  1859, Mary Fairy,then William Samuel 1860, George 1862 and continued until 1873...his father was Joseph(on William's death ) There are no mention of any more kids for  George & Mary, after 1827...I think William must have been their child born c 1830, maybe the fathers name on William's death cert. was a mistake ??, William was known as William E.F. Setchell, I think the F is for Fairy. Could you give me your opinion on this..please..Rob

Offline Earlgrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 18:38 GMT (UK) »
From you reply it looks confusing.
Certainly the George Setchell/Mary Fairey marriage produced the four we know of:- George Lewis, Oliver, Joseph Fairey and Issac.
If your William shows that his father was Joseph, then is it not possible that the Joseph is in fact the Joseph Fairey Setchell (bap 1827) and that the William is William Samuel Setchell?
I suppose that cannot be as you say that William started children in 1859 in Australia.
I have looked very closely at the Dean, Keysoe and surrounding parishes for baptisms of Setchell (I too am following the Setchell line).
It is clear that the first child of George and Mary Fairey is a Georgina Setchell baptised in 1818. The Baptism Register entry for Dean shows both the names of Setchell and Fairey and of course the couple did not marry until 1821. It is possible that there was another child - William, but he does not appear in the baptism records.
On the other hand it might be that he could have been another child of Mary Fairey and perhaps named (baptised) William Fairey with no reference to Setchell?
Cannot locate a burial for either George Setchell/Mary Fairey so it is possible that they had another child - William but not in Dean Parish?
However, there is a William Setchell to be found in the 1861 census RG9/2498/F66P7 Derbyshire. This man is shown as William Setchell aged 35 born Keysoe, Beds. He is with his wife Mary, and children Elisha 9, Ellen 4, Sarah 2 and Emily 1. William's occupation is Shoemaker and Chelsea Pensioner. That means he was in the army and as I have seen from previous postings to this site that would tie-up. I cannot find him in further census records.
Apart from this William I cannot see any others that fit the bill. But will post if anything comes up.

Offline sunshine333

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 November 05 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Earlgrey, thanks for replying, yes I agree the Setchell family are confusing,but my Setchell family are linked to your line somewhere, as William E.F.Setchell named his daughter Mary Fairy...and they are the only early family in Aust.  I will let you know if I find anymore info..I appreciate your help...have a great day...Rob

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 November 05 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Re the SETCHELL/CHERRY marriage.

Beds Archives Reference to the request from T. SETCHELL to Rev Mr CROCKFORD of Keysoe to intervene with the Poor Law Overseers for 'sympatheic aid' for his daughter-in-law and her two small children is:

P 48/18/3

The letter is written by Elisha's father, T SETCHELL and is carried by John CHERRY [Ann SETCHELLs father] 'an honest and industrious man unable to maintain her without assistance'.
It also says that Ann & Elisha's goods are in Dean...etc.