Author Topic: Owen MCCabe and Mary Wholahan  (Read 5205 times)

Offline warrawillah

• RIP 2023
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Owen MCCabe and Mary Wholahan
« on: Thursday 06 January 11 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am new to this list and researching for a friend of mine. She is descended from Owen MCCabe, a coachman, and his wife Mary WHOLAHAN who lived in Brown Street Carlow, Co. Carlow. Her line of descent is through their son Joseph MCCabe born in 1836.

He was supposedly the 10th son of a family of 10 sons and 2 daughters. So far, the following have been traced: Mary 1821, Edward 1827, Owen 1830, James 1831, Anna 1833, Lawrence 1834 and Joseph 1836.

Apparently the Catholic church was also in Brown street at that time. Could somone please tell me what it was called?

Joseph MCCabe married Elizabeth Woods 1879 in Colchester, ESSEX. He had enlisted in the army, 108th Foot Soldiers in 1860, served in India and was discharged from the army in 1880.

I am looking for any details of Owen and his wife Mary or any other info on this family.
Thank you for your interest.
Marie in Sydney, Australia
DONALDSON  from Aberdeen,Orkney. and Newport, MONS Wales. WILLIAMS/CAUGHTER from Bangor Caernarvonshire, WALES
WISEMAN from ELGIN and LOSSIEMOUTH. MARTIN from Winchelea in Sussex, RICHARDSON from Rovelden in Kent, Pollok/POLLOCK from Scotland, LECKIE from Scotland WARRY from Bristol ENG

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Owen MCCabe and Mary Wholahan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 11 12:18 GMT (UK) »
The RC Cathedral is located on College Street and very close to Brown street - see the OSI map for the area : Brown St/College St - Carlow town  See the 25" 1890s map for the best view of the layout.

It's named as St. Mary's on the older maps , the current name seems to be the Cathedral of the Assumption.

Records for the parish go back to the 1770s - see RC Parish of Carlow  (Irish Times)

Some records for Co. Carlow are included on the website at www.irishgenealogy.ie , but they only have Church of Ireland details at the moment. It might be worth keeping an eye out for any updates to see if they add Carlow RC records.

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests