Author Topic: McConnell's Wigtown, some help needed  (Read 19994 times)

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McConnell's Wigtown, some help needed
« on: Thursday 06 January 11 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a very confusing one here that I'm hoping someone out there can help me with. I'm researching a possible ancestor and coming up with a strange result. I'm sure there's someone looking in who could come  up with a good suggestion to help me sort out who is who here.

I have a Janet McDermid daughter of Donald McDermid and Catherine McCannell/McConnell. When I look for a marriage I find Donald and Catherine marrying in 1860 in Greenock. Looks like the right people, he is 31 and it says he's a widower. This tallies with later census appearances. It says Donalds father is Donald and his mother is Janet ms McDonald. But it's Catherine who is causing me a headache.

The cert is very difficult to read so I'm debating over the ms of Catherine's mother. Father is William McConnell and mother is definitely Barbara something. I have asked Scotland's people for clarification but will try to paste the bit of text in here to see if anyone here can come up with a good suggestion (it's some time since I posted anything on here so will have to remind myself how to do it).

When I search the parish records there is one marriage that comes up with the groom a William McConnell and his bride is a Barbara McLure. I googled and came up with references to them and to children. Problem is they married in 1796 and I can't find a reference to a Catherine. Also it would make them pretty old when she was born. Their children are born much earlier - they appear to be on igi. Catherine is 28 when she married so would have been born about 1832.

The McConnells do havea son William so I thought they could be her grandparents. But that would mean William jnr would have also married someone called Barbara. Possible I know, but I can't find any record of a marriage between a William and a Barbara at the relevant time. Only two fairly modern marriages between a William McConnell and Barbara anything on the records much later - in the 1900's.

I am probably doing something silly here, missing something obvious. Any suggestions welcome and I will post the bit of text relating to the marriage to see if someone can come up with a suggestion about Barbara's surname.
McKenzie Grant Killin Gallagher/Gallacher

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McConnell's Wigtown, some help needed
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie

Your're right, Barbara McLure would have been too old to be mother to your Catherine. In 1841 she showed as aged 66:

William Mcconnel 27
Barbara Mcconnel 25
James Mcconnel 23
Barbara Mcclure 66

Address: Low Glasnock, Penninghame, Wigtownshire

Have you been able to find Catherine in the earlier censuses? Have you checked her death cert to see what it says about her mother?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 11 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Not checked yet Monica, you're right I should do that. I wanted clarification on the marriage cert from SP first. They have re-scanned it for me and am hoping it's clearer. I have checked SP for a birth cert and didn't find one. Interestingly. There is a birth in Islay about the right time but father given as John. Interesting because her spouse Donald McDermid is originally from Isaly. I got to wondering if William and Barbara could be her grandparents and maybe they raised her.

My grandfather was 'adopted'  in 1903 before official adoption existed and forever after gave his adopted parents names on everything official....marriage cert, naval registration and on his death cert his family stated names of his adopted parents so it coild be done then.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 January 11 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I remember your grandfather's searches Maggie (have you made more headway on those?!)   :)

I am really struggling to find Donald and Catherine on the censuses post 1860 and their marriage, have you been able to find them? I also can only see one son's birth on IGI, a William in 1867. Just wondered whether Catherine's age varied on the censuses and what showed for her birth place.

Monica

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 January 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, I struggled to find them too on the census. I did find a marriage cert yes. 1860 in Greenock. By 1881 Donald appears as a widower with daughter Janet and a sister Mary in Greenock. But somewhere I had come across a son called Malcolm but can't find him on the census either.

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 January 11 17:54 GMT (UK) »
By the way, I didn't know about a son called William I don't think. But that adds to the connection to William McConnell really. I am very confused about her.

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 January 11 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Re my grandfather's search, through this site I made some advances. I had struggled so long to find his origins but I do think that Donald and Catherine's daughter Janet, was his grandmother. I still hope that the 1911 census may provide me with some confirmation but sadly I might not get that.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 January 11 18:55 GMT (UK) »
This is the IGI entry that I found that I thought looked to be one of their sons:

WILLIAM MCDERMID Birth: 31 JUL 1867 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew
Parents: DONALD MCDERMID and CATHERINE MCCONNELL

Monica

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 January 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
ok, that looks like them alright. Just looked at the death cert and it's Barbara SPENCE. When I look at the marriage cert, I see that's right. I'm probably on the wrong board. Probably nothing to do with the Wigtown McConnell's at all. Maybe should be moved to Greenock since it's the only place I can definitely find them.

She lived Market Street at time of death and that's where Donald later died according to Watt library bmd.

Problem is, I now can't find a marriage for a William McConnell and Barbara Spence. And so it goes on! Ha ha. Just when you think you are moving forward, you go 1 step back.