Author Topic: COMPLETED Biggleswade baptisms - GAR[D]NER  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Suzanne_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Biggleswade baptisms - GAR[D]NER
« on: Friday 07 January 11 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have traced my 5-g-grandfather John GARNER or GARDNER back to his birth in about 1749 in Biggleswade. He later moved to Cople where he was married in 1774 and 1784, and died in 1824.

Could some kind soul please check the Biggleswade parish records for any likely candidates?

I found his birth date and place thanks to him being nicked for poaching (and spawning a dynasty of petty criminals), which I found out from the fantastic Bedfordshire Gaol Registers (http://apps.bedfordshire.gov.uk/grd/search.aspx).

Thanks in advance,

Suzanne

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Biggleswade baptisms - GAR[D]NER
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 11 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Virtually all Beds parish registers, baptisms and marriages, pre 1813 have been extracted onto the IGI at www.familysearch.org  There's a baptism in 1755 which might be him, but it doesn't match up with his age of 75 at burial in Cople on 16 Apr 1824, nor 72 on committal in 1821. I can't see a marriage or burial for a John Garner in Biggleswade, so possibly this is the right one, but proving it with an age difference of 6 years is another matter

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Suzanne_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Biggleswade baptisms - GAR[D]NER
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 January 11 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David for your help, and sorry for not realising the IGI coverage was so comprehensive.

Looks like I have two choices of ancestor - the one you list below, and another John Garner born in 1749 in Kempston.

Cheers,

Suzanne

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Biggleswade baptisms - GAR[D]NER
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 January 11 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I can reduce the choices - John Gardner born and baptised 4 Oct 1749 at Kempston, son of John & Ann. There's a burial at Kempston on 6 Oct 1749 of John Gardner infant son of John Gardner, farmer.

Still not convinced about the Biggleswade one either!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Suzanne_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Biggleswade baptisms - GAR[D]NER
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 11 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again David!

I'm still not convinced either - but do you or others know of reasons why someone might round their age *up* while still in their 60s - would they be more likely to get parish relief, etc.?

I ask not only because the only apparent contender for John Gar[d]ner in the IGI is 6 years younger than expected - but also because there is stronger evidence that his wife Susan Cutler exaggerated her age by a similar margin.

Susan was buried in Cople in early 1820 with a stated age of 64, which would mean she was born in 1755 and aged 51 when her youngest son Thomas was born in mid 1806 (the baptism record gives his age at baptism). It seems much more probable that she is the Susan Cutler baptised in 1762 in Renhold - I can't see a corresponding burial for her under the name Cutler.

Cheers,

Suzanne