Author Topic: Possible Emigration from Devon to Canada  (Read 20123 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Emigration from Devon to Canada
« Reply #63 on: Monday 12 October 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
So sorry to be absent fo r all this interesting data I have been laid low with a chest infection ...on the mend now so will make my way through the last posts, meanwhile I have come across another odd Canadian problem you may be ablee to help with pleaes  same family later generation
Joseph Bale and Mary Ripply had a son James Campbell Bale who seems usually to be known as Campbell Bale or J. Campbell Bale you  mentioned his birth 29 Sep 1879 Wentworth Ontario., on Reply 54and here is a grave http://geneofun.on.ca/names/photo/1162710?PHPSESSID=dee4cd9d64a1c0bb5279058cf8c11c1c
This shows a wife named Lucy Wright WALLACE. but a tree on An..ry has a marriage for him
04 Sep 1912 • Guelph, Wellington, Ontario tp Grace Elizabeth LEADER
I can;t find either marriage can anyone else please? I am wondering did he marry twice or was there a secon J Campbell Bale around  we already hoseph  the father of JC BALE 1879
Many thanks...just don;t get too near incase I'm infectious its not a nice bug at all
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 04:45 BST (UK) »
Marriage of James Campbell Bale to Grace Elizabeth Leader.  His parents are listed as Joseph Bale and Jennie Ripley (deceased)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KS86-NGD

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 04:57 BST (UK) »
According to a short article in the Globe and Mail on Jan 10, 1914... Grace died on Jan 8 1914.  She had come from Hamilton to Guelph to visit her father, who was ill.  She had been there for a couple of weeks.  She developed appendicitis and went to St. Joseph's hospital in Toronto for an appendectomy.  The article says that the operation was successful... not so sure about that, as she died a couple of days after.  She had been a teacher in Guelph and Fort William.  She had married Mr J. Campbell Bale, a merchant of Hamilton, just over a year ago.  She was about 25 years old.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 05:20 BST (UK) »
1921 census in Hamilton.  He is "James", aged 42... and a widower.  Living with his father Joseph 64.  Also there is a Sarah Ripley 62.  James is a merchant.

RK

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 05:44 BST (UK) »
Great that is all looking good if poor Grace died so young it is likely to be a second marriage then so I can add the grave to James Campbell Bale son of Joseph and Mary Jane  Bale she was nee Ripply so must be the Jenny    Jenny and Jane likely to be the same do you think? I'm going back to bed its 5 am and I just haven't slept a wink will be sooo glad when this what ever it is has cleared up completely
Many thanks for your excellent work

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
You are welcome.... I hope you feel better soon :) :)

RK

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 15 October 15 05:54 BST (UK) »
I don't think I updated what i now have about the missing brother William so here goes in case he can be found in Canada
William son of Joseph and Prudence Bale born Alwington 1802
married Susanna Brown in Atherington Devon had 4 children in Atherington
Elizabeth  1829
John 1830
William 1832 died 1834
Thomas 1836
 Susannah died 1849 in Atherington/
Nothing more has been found of William in the UK until his burial in Atherington in 1880

Now you notice I have highlighted Thomas his son he turns up on a passenger list in 1910 with his son another William he was said to be returning to Canada and William was coming for the first time to work in a mill. William's wife and children then are on a passenger list in 1911 and they are all on the 1911census in North Bay Ontario
Thomas 73 arrived 1904
Mary wife 71 arrived 1904
William son 42 arrived 1909
Mary Jane daur in law 40 arrived 1911
+ 5 children
They are all Methodist.
Only William is working he is a baggage handler with CPR so not at the mill
So did William come to Canada with his brothers? and return to visit hos family in 1880 ?
I know Thomas is in Oldham working in a cotton mill before he leaves for Canada.

Is it possible to search for William again possibly in the region of North Bay? Is there a marriage for a William Bale after 1850 (there isn't a suitable one in the UK) Is he on any passenger list returning to UK between 1871 and 1880? ( he isnlt on the 1871 census for England and died in Devon 1880)

mcmullin.me.uk