Author Topic: Need some help.  (Read 6172 times)

Offline a1424

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need some help.
« on: Friday 07 January 11 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping to trace the Wilson side of my family tree.I have John Wilson marries Margaret Watters in Glasgow in 1917. Age 23. private 2nd battion highland light infranty.

On the entry on scotlands people his parents are John Wilson (tailor) and Annie Gray both deceased by 1917.

The only marriage i can find on scotlands people for a John Wilson and a Annie Gray is in 1884 in Banff.This is where i am getting stuck,because if this is his parents.I them tried hunting his birth details in that area in about 1894-1895.nothing is coming up with a John Wilson to these parents.

any ideas?

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 January 11 18:20 GMT (UK) »
hmmmm, there is a 1901 census record for a John and Annie Wilson living in Aberdeen area with a son John of about the right age. But I checked for his sisters birth cert and the mothers maiden name isnt Gray so I dont think thats them.
The only other record in the 1901 census I can see at first glance for a John and Annie Wilson is in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, they too have a son John about the right age but John Sr is a quarryman which doesnt really fit either.
Like you I can only find one marriage for a John Wilson and Annie Gray (Grey), that one in 1884 in Banff.
Only other thing I wonder if the mothers name was actually Annie or (like so many of my ancestors) something completely different that got changed over time. 

On SP there are only 3 deaths of an Annie Gray Wilson between 1855 and 1917 and Im not convinced any of them are yours because of ages etc.  Which also makes me wonder about her name.

I will keep thinking!  :)

McIntyre and MacInnes, Argyll (mostly Glencoe, Ballachulish, Oban)
McGillivray, Robertson - Sleat, Skye
Sandilands, McNaughton - Abernethy, Perthshire
McCartney - Glasgow, Northern Ireland
Rafferty - Northern Ireland
Doig - Fife

Offline a1424

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Just a update on this search,i have found John Wilson died in 1951 in Glasgow.On this entry on Scotland's people his age is down at 59,with them would put his birth date around 1892.

I have searched again the Banff area again,and still nothing is coming up.The entry on sp still has his parents as John Wilson and Annie Gray.

With regard to Ann-Annie Gray,on the 1884 entry her parents are William Gray and Barbara Thomson,her age is 25.I can find a birth in 1859 in Keith for a Ann Gray,parents William Gray and Barbara Thomson.I found this record on the family search website.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 11 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Are you certain that John Wilson was Scottish? Just wondering whether there could be a English/Irish connection for him?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a1424

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 11 00:29 GMT (UK) »
I was led to believe that John Wilson was Scottish,but i may well be wrong.If i go with the Wilsons from the Banff area,as his parents.It is strange that is no birth record from that area.

I may will have to wait for the 1911 census,to see if i can pick up from there.

Thanks again for everybodys help.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 11 16:06 GMT (UK) »
there is a 1901 census record for a John and Annie Wilson living in Aberdeen area with a son John of about the right age. But I checked for his sisters birth cert and the mothers maiden name isnt Gray so I dont think thats them.

Was the sister much older or younger than John? What was the date of her parents' marriage? Could she have been a daughter of John W by a different marriage, one wife having died? Where was the John of about the right age born, and why did you not look at his bc?

On John's marriage certificate, exactly how is his mother's name shown? Is she Annie Wilson M(aiden) S(urname) Gray, or is she simply Annie Gray? If the latter, it would imply that John was illegitimate and you would need to look for a John Gray not John Wilson in the birth indexes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 January 11 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping to trace the Wilson side of my family tree.I have John Wilson marries Margaret Watters in Glasgow in 1917. Age 23. private 2nd battion highland light infranty.

On the entry on scotlands people his parents are John Wilson (tailor) and Annie Gray both deceased by 1917.

The only marriage i can find on scotlands people for a John Wilson and a Annie Gray is in 1884 in Banff.This is where i am getting stuck,because if this is his parents.I them tried hunting his birth details in that area in about 1894-1895.nothing is coming up with a John Wilson to these parents.

any ideas?

Is this John Wilson a tailor?

Online sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 January 11 18:14 GMT (UK) »
What about this death on SP

1914 WILSON ANNIE   GRAY DARCY Female aged 52 at GOVAN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

Offline a1424

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 January 11 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help,

On Johns marriage and death certificate it shows Annie Wilson ms Gray.

The 1884 marriage between John Wilson and Annie Gray in Banff,John is a farm servant.

The 1914 death of Annie Wilson in Glasgow on sp has the following details.Maiden name Darcy,widow of William Gray.Married to William Wilson.I checked on sp,and married William Wilson in 1914,the same year has her death.I dont think she is John Wilson's mother.