Author Topic: Berrington Workhouse  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Helen Dann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Berrington Workhouse
« on: Friday 15 April 05 11:31 BST (UK) »
This is a question relating to my great-grandfather's sister, Annie, who had a child before marriage.  I have the birth certificate for her son, which tells me that he was born in 1890 in the Union Workhouse, Berrington. Annie is described as a Cook there. What I don't quite understand is that I assume the unmarried mothers in those places came from families who couldn't afford to support them. In Annie's case, however, she appears on the 1891 census (living with her brother), her son living with her parents. Presumably, then, neither Annie nor her family were destitute, nor was it a case of having the pregnancy and birth 'hushed up', as the child was brought up, it seems, within the family and with the family surname. Does anyone know why such a young woman might find herself in a workhouse??
Bunting - Worthen (SAL)
Williams - Much Wenlock (SAL)
Dabbs - Dudley/Wellington
Hall - Munslow/Eaton-Under-Heywood (SAL)
Jones - Pontesbury (SAL)
Dadicott/Dorricott - Westbury (SAL)
Kidson/Kitson - Ditton Priors/Morville (SAL)
Wood - Stottesden/Cleobury Mortimer (SAL)
Wright - Ellesmere/Oswestry (SAL)
Payne - Oswestry (SAL)
Cooper - Abdon/Clee St Margaret (SAL)
Bradney - Pontesbury (SAL)

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
Re: Berrington Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
It seems to me that Annie was employed in the workhouse.If that is the case,she will have been employed by the local Poor Law Union.Or alternatively,one of her immediate relatives was so employed. The job was probably a "live in" appointment.

Have a look at the following site;
www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/shrops/atcham_workhouse.htm
My father,although not illigitimate,was born in a workhouse as my grandfather was employed by the local Poor Law Union.
Best of luck in your research.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Helen Dann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 05 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link! Annie's son *was* illegitimate, however - I have the child's birth certificate - there's no father named, and the son took the mother's surname.
Bunting - Worthen (SAL)
Jones - Pontesbury (SAL)
Payne - Oswestry (SAL)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 05 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

Here's another link to the workhouse

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Atcham/Atcham.shtml

You will see that at the very end of the article is states that the buildings were empty in 2001 - sadly, they've been demolished now and brand new houses have been built on this former site.

The chapel is now a private house.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Helen Dann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 05 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link - interesting website.

Helen
Bunting - Worthen (SAL)
Jones - Pontesbury (SAL)
Payne - Oswestry (SAL)

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 April 06 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

thought you may appreciate an update.  The main buildings at Berrington Workhouse have NOT been demolished, they have been converted into apartment as part of a housing development of the grounds.  The old chapel is now a community centre, wit a small park and playground alongside.  It's good to see the old building survives (my gran was born there in 1904....

Garry

Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze

Offline Angjim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 05:58 BST (UK) »
Hi  A Thomas Henry Abbott was born in Atcham Workhouse in 1904 and I have been trying to locate the records for him but they seem to be missing is it possible that you could help me find these as you mention your gran was born there in 1904 - Thomas Henry Abbott was illigitimate. His mother was Alice Abbott  any help would be most appreciated.

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 23:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry!  But I never did locate the records.  I believe they (or copies) may be at the Shropshire Records Office - one day I'm going to go......  I'd like to find out how long my great gran and gran were there for an what information I can find.
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze

Offline Angjim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 July 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying. My query is quite complicated because the person I am trying to get the records for from the workhouse, could be the illigitimate child of a Berwick, who were big in the Shropshire Society scene. If I can get to the Shropshire Records Office I will help you too.

Thanks again