Author Topic: Glanton/Branton Presbyterian - graveyards?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Bonzo Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glanton/Branton Presbyterian - graveyards?
« on: Saturday 08 January 11 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I have been unable to locate the deaths or burials of Walter and Grace Grey who lived at Bewick Nursery in the parish of Eglingham. Their children were baptised at Glanton Presbyterian in the period 1789-1808, and I suspect they both died before 1837 as there is no trace of their deaths in the GRO index.

There is no record of their burial in any of the parish churches in Northumberland, and I am wondering whether they were buried at Glanton Presbyterian Church, or possibly nearby Branton Presbyterian, but am not sure whether burials took place at either church. Records for both churches are held at Berwick Record Office, but there is no trace of a burial register.

I would be grateful if anyone who is familiar with these churches could let me know whether there are gravestones or any other evidence of burials having taken place at these churches.

Many thanks.

John

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Glanton/Branton Presbyterian - graveyards?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 January 11 18:09 GMT (UK) »
John,i think most Presbyterian churches would not have a burial ground,so they were probably buried in the nearest C of E churchyard.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bonzo Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 January 11 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Steve

I realise that few Presbyterian churches had burials grounds, but some did. I have been unable to find the deaths of Walter and Grace Grey in the GRO indexes, in the Northumberland burial index for 1813-37 or the National Burial Index which covers most of the parishes in the area before 1813. The implication is therefore that they either moved out of Northumberland or were buried in a non-Anglican burial ground. I have no reason to believe that they left Northumberland. Even if no records exist, if there is evidence of burials having taken place at Glanton, or nearby Branton, I can make the reasonable assumption that they were buried there. I am therefore hoping that someone who is familiar with these churches can tell me whether it looks as though any burials ever took place at these churches.

John

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 January 11 12:47 GMT (UK) »
John,have you discounted the Grace Grey death at Alnwick Dec qtr 1839 on FBMD or is that too late?

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bonzo Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 January 11 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Steve

Yes, I have discounted it because I obtained the death certificate some time ago, and it is not the correct person (aged 44, wife of Robert).

Regards

John

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 January 11 20:15 GMT (UK) »
 John,

Have you extended your burial search to the County of Durham.

Up to 1844 several parishes, lying within the bounds of the county of Northumberland, were in actuality owned/administered by the Bishops of Durham. Areas around Norham ( Norhamshire), Tweedmouth ( Islandshire) and Bedlington (Bedlingtonshire) were collectively referred to as "North Durham".

However I think the areas of Branton (Parish of Eglingham) and Glanton
( Parish of Whittingham) were south of and not within Norhamshire of Islandshire.

The Northumberland section of the GenUKI web site lists baptism and some marriage records for Presbyterian churches at Branton and Glanton, but no death/burial records.

Michael

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Bonzo Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 January 11 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Michael

I am aware of North Durham, but the county-wide 1813-1837 burial indexes for Northumberland and Durham produced by Ancestral Indexes (formerly Original Indexes) and most other indexes such as the National Burial Index organise the records by present-day county.

Kind regards

John

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 May 23 16:41 BST (UK) »
This reply is to a post you made many years ago but I have only just seen it. You have probably researched further since then. However I’m contacting you to say there WAS a graveyard at Branton near Glanton ! I’m not sure if the burial records of MIs have survived but you can enquire through berwick archives . Good luck!
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)