Author Topic: Second or Third opinion please  (Read 2253 times)

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Second or Third opinion please
« on: Saturday 08 January 11 16:59 GMT (UK) »
On IGI there is a baptism for a Daniel Pierkiss Hallett on 25.9.1831 at Stepney, his parents are Daniel Hallett and Mary Maria.

In the 1841 Census HO107 Piece679 Book/Folio1/31 Page 56, there is a Daniel Hallett aged 35 living with his wife Elizabeth, also aged 35, at Edgware Road, Marylebone.  One of the people on the same Census is a Mary Purkiss, aged 50.  She, I believe, is Elizabeth's sister as I found a marriage for a Daniel Hallett to a Elizabeth Purkiss in Marylebone in 1828.  On this same Census there is a Daniel who is born in 1831 but his surname is Bearbess.  I can find no more details of this Daniel and am wondering if he is the Daniel Hallett born in Stepney as his given age is 10.

By the 1851 Census HO107 Piece1489 Folio311 Page3, Daniel senior is now a widow, aged 46.  Also living with him is Mary Purkiss.  There is no younger Daniel with any surname living with them but I have found what I believe to be Daniel junior on the 1851 Census - HO107 Piece1467 Folio798 Page34.  His surname is shown as Hilcott but what makes me think this is the correct person is that he was born in 1831 in Mile End and his occupation is Baker and this is the correct occupation for the Daniel Hallett that is my ancestor in all future Censuses.

What makes me think that the Daniel Hallett born in Stepney is the correct one is that on one of his son's birth certificate (Walter) his father is named as Daniel Perkes Hallett.

Why I am linking the Daniel Hallett and his wife Elizabeth is that I understand it was quite common to give the mother's maiden name as a second christian name to a child.

The only thing that has thrown me with this is the IGI transcription that I mention at the beginning where the mother's name is Mary Maria.

I hope this all makes sense and would be grateful for any input into this subject.

Buzz

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Second or Third opinion please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 January 11 17:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage between Daniel Hallett and Elizabeth Purkiss (indexed as Parkes) at St Mary Bryanston Sq on 14.9.1828.

The 1831 baptism shows Daniel snr as a tailor but the 1841 entry you found shows him as a hairdresser

On that same 1841 entry - Daniel Bearbess could be a bad translation of Daniel Purkiss by the enumerator although it does not explain why his name is not below Elizabeth's

Underneath Daniel is a Mary Park...... aged 40 - female servant - who could be the same one as found in 1851
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 January 11 20:11 GMT (UK) »
For info, Buzz has posted other topics about Daniel Hallett.

Please use the search function to see them.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 January 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 January 11 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

11th November 1832 St Mary Bryanston Square Marylebone born 12th October
Henry Coleman Hallett parenrs Daniel and Maria, 47 Queen Street, father's occupation tailor

Deaths Dec 1837   HALLETT  Henry Coleman    St Geo' Hanover Sq  1 24

31st August 1830 St Marylebone
Daniel Hallett
Maria Taylor
Bachelor and spinster of the parish - both signed
marriage by banns
Witnesses Henry and Ann Hallett

Possible death registration

Deaths Mar 1840   
HALLETT  Maria    Marylebone  1 166

If it was Maria's death (might be might not) then the certificate would indicate whether she died as a widow.

1841 census HO107 690/8 folio 16
An unnamed institution Hammersmith Middlesex
Daniel Hallett 8 born in county

Lack of mention of deceased in a marriage register is no evidence that father's were still alive, since it was merely the custom and practice of some officials to include this information. Many didn't. Daniel clearly states his father was a tailor, which he states again when he marrys in 1860.

12th September 1853 St Philip, Bethnal Green
Daniel Hallett 22 Bachelor Baker 11 Jubilee Street Daniel Hallett Tailor
Hannah Fisher 27 Spinster Rutland Street Joseph Fisher Bootmaker
Both signed
Witnesses James and Eliza Salter (her mark)

The Daniel Hallett on the 1841 and 1851 censuses in Marylebone (died 1852) clearly states his occupation as a hairdresser

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 January 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

All I know of the Baptism in 1831 is the parents names from the IGI site if there is any other information you could give me it would be much appreciated.

The two factors in this topic are Daniel's middle name of Pierkiss or Purkiss which is so unusual that made me think that it may have been his mother's surname when I found the 1828 Marriage.

But the IGI transcription for the birth in 1831 was a big factor showing the mother's name as Mary Maria and I am sure this is the correct child as in the 1861 census Daniel is shown as Dan P Hallet. Is the IGI transcription always correct.

Also there is a Marriage in 1830 also in Marylebone of a Daniel Hallett and a Maria Taylor so I then thought that Daniel married Elizabeth in 1828 she dies soon after he then marries Maria in 1830 they then move to Stepney and have Daniel Jnr in 1831 case solved but then find the the 1841 census with Daniel and Elizabeth together so case not solved ?

Also the 1831 Baptism showing Daniel Snr.'s occupation as tailor  is what is shown on Daniel Jnr.'s  Marriage certificate in 1860 for his Father's occupation.
I have been unable to find a Daniel Hallett in the earlier census with the occupation of Tailor.

As you can see I have posted threads on this subject before and feel that I am getting closer to the answer with the information that I have been given to this, and the other subject in the previous threads it's a matter of getting all the pieces in the right order.

Again you all for the information that has been given.
Buzz

PS  Just read Valda's post which makes very interesting reading it would seem that that Daniel and Maria moved back to Marylebone after Daniel Jnr. was born.
Thank you for all the information.
The Daniel and Elizabeth that I had been looking at was a red herring.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 January 11 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

25th September 1831 St Dunstan Stepney
Dan Purkiss Hallett parents Daniel and Mary Maria, MOET (Mile End Old Town) father's occupation tailor

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 January 11 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again for all the information.

With the information on Henry Coleman Hallett it would seem that Daniel and Maria liked to give unusual middle names to their children.

The marriage between Daniel Jnr. and Hannah Fisher, to my knowledge, only produced two children Joseph born in 1856 (who went on to marry Francis Burrows in 1879) and Hannah who was born in 1858 and died in early 1864.
Hannah Snr. died in late October or early November 1859 and Daniel married again in November 1860.

Buzz