Author Topic: Your views on date and ages please  (Read 5529 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Your views on date and ages please
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 January 11 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I think imaginations are running wild.  :P

Well, yes and no...... it is rather odd that the older girl's face is in much sharper focus than the two boys in the same row, the same distance from the lens ?

Her face seems a lot lighter too.

The word 'cut & paste' today refers to electronic means of photo editing, but the term existed before then.  It would be possible for a photographer to paste images onto a card, and then re-photograph it.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 January 11 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Just look at the dark line (on the taller boy  at the back)   between his collar and his neck.

I am sure that we can find more examples of photographers using boards with holes in even as late  as the 1950s.

It was quite common in places like Blackpool and Edinburgh.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline mrwilson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 January 11 10:10 GMT (UK) »
. it is rather odd that the older girl's face is in much sharper focus than the two boys in the same row, the same distance from the lens ?

Her face seems a lot lighter too.

Must remember the 'flash' was a separate unit in those days, possibly a powder flash, camera centered and the flash to one side , probably directly in front of the older girl, hence the brightness.
Like today,  quality of the lense determined quality of photo, she no doubt being in the lenses sweet spot. Given the peripheral blur, probably not that good a lense was used.

Just look at the dark line (on the taller boy  at the back)   between his collar and his neck.

Low height of the flash or other lighting would have created the dark shadow.

Overall I would say the photographer was using old equipment,  wasn't very good or both.

Has anyone seen what the modern day camera LED flash creates.. terrible photos in general, so how could one expect a good flash photo from 120 yrs ago?   ::)
Wilson     - Manchester
Cowburn - Manchester, Canada
Beswick   - Manchester
Macmillan - Canada, USA

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 January 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,
Getting back to your original request as we seem to be going off topic here:

The evidence:

Photo was taken in Cleckheaton around the mid-late 1890s

The general opinion seems to suggest the children's ages to range from 2yrs -11yrs in age.

Do you have a family living in this area in the 1890s with three sons and two daughters that fit the bill...assuming they are siblings and not cousins?

Perhaps you could post adult photos of whom you think they could be to see if anyone can find a likeness to help you identify the family.

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 January 11 10:44 GMT (UK) »

I am sure that we can find more examples of photographers using boards with holes in even as late  as the 1950s.

It was quite common in places like Blackpool and Edinburgh.

The dark line was probably caused by the scanning process.  This wasn't a board with a hole.  You wouldn't get heads at the angles these are at with that, and in any case you could see the holes when the picture was blown up, and there's none evident here.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 January 11 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Carol, I found a family, which in my excitement fitted nearly - hence the posting in the first place - although the age of the eldest would be 15/16, the others were quite close.  But on second inspection the third boy was in fact called Emily! So probably not them!
I have a family in Cleckheaton, but only 1 surviving child - Arthur Lazenby born 1866, and by 1891 he was unmarried.  The only other photo taken in Cleckheaton is this gentleman, who could be Arthur's father George born 1844 - or not!
ScouseBoy this is Cleckheaton - Leeds, not Blackpool - I'm not going with holes - but an interesting thought.
I am going with Nick29 and MrWilson I think it is a trick of the camera/flash - but the eldest girl's head does enlarge differently (pixel or grain) to the others. Children on other photos do seem to have short necks, not helped by the neckwear.
Again thanks to everyone for your interest and humour, especially Jim - I hope I can remember all the names of the garments you are teaching me.
Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Longfield - Yorkshire/Newcastle
Franklin - Lincs/Yorks border
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Aitken - Fife/Lincolnshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Eureka - I have just found the following family:
Rose 1883; Charles 1885, Herbert 1887, Walter 1890 and Violet 1892.  If this was taken in 1894 they would be 11,9,7,4 and 2.  Children 5 - 9 (of 10) of Charles and Pheobe Lazenby living at the time in Mansfield, but his brother was in Cleckheaton.
I think that may be as good as I can get - thanks everyone.
Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 13 January 11 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update Kath and well done Jim for nailing it 8)...I'm so pleased you have found your family  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 13 January 11 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, if this is the right family, then Jim was spot-on - sheer genius.  I should also have said, they are the grandchildren of the sister of my Gx2 Grandmother (1826-92), who I believe to be the original owner of the album, so it is all quite feasible.
Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire