Author Topic: dents,claytons,sutton,johnsons  (Read 1458 times)

Offline millyput

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
dents,claytons,sutton,johnsons
« on: Sunday 09 January 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone just thought i would put a quick note up i would love to discuss and talk to others in my extended family about our heritage. i do have a fair bit of info but would love to find photos and learn a lot more about their life's my interest are dent in Brigg broughton clayton in saxby Hollands in Brigg and i have lots of connection with  north and south Kelsey.Sutton's in scunthorpe  and langsworth johnson in Kelsey hope to hear from anyone soon in anticipation
Dent,clayton sutton johnson clayton clarke   broughton brigg north and south kelsey scunthorpe

Offline rover72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flying the flag for Yellowbellies!
    • View Profile
Re: dents,claytons,sutton,johnsons
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 11 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a link with David Clayton, baptised 24 April 1825 at Saxby?

Offline millyput

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 10:30 GMT (UK) »
hi rover yes i am related to david clayton born saxby he was the half sister to my 3xgrt grandmother Sarah clayton sarah mother being john 2nd wife hannah Jacklin while david mother was ann heath. millyput ;D
Dent,clayton sutton johnson clayton clarke   broughton brigg north and south kelsey scunthorpe

Offline rover72

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 17:27 GMT (UK) »
You do know that David Clayton was a bigamist and that he changed his name...  ;)

Offline millyput

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 18:59 GMT (UK) »
know nothing about him just a name would love to know more as most people that has lots of names and dates of relatves they are all want flesh on the bones to know how they lived what they looked like ect the claytons dent are on my dad side of the family but on my mum she has a murderess in the family who is buried in lucy towers at lincoln castle that was also interested to find out about  mllyput

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 00:16 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but was intrigued by rover72’s throwaway remark about David Clayton b1825 of Saxby

You do know that David Clayton was a bigamist and that he changed his name …

I wonder if rover72 - or anybody else - has the story behind this? David’s mother, Ann (nee Heath), was a distant aunt of ours, and I had been trying to trace David post 1851 among the crowds of Claytons in North Lincolnshire.

Offline rover72

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Happy to shed more light on this…

David CLAYTON - Baptised 24 April 1825 in Saxby All Saints, Lincolnshire
8 October 1850 married Elizabeth SANDERSON at the Independent Chapel, Brigg, Lincolnshire
Two children born:
  • Charlotte Sophia CLAYTON (born about January 1851, at Howsham, married Thomas ELTRINGHAM in 1868, and died in 1903, Ormskirk district)
  • Samuel George CLAYTON (born 1853, died in 1855)

1861 census - Woodseats, Norton, Yorkshire - 'George TOMLINSON', born Brigg, unmarried, aged 32

25 May 1863 - married Hannah SMITHSON in Worksop, Nottinghamshire under the alias ‘George TOMLINSON’ - gave father as ‘John TOMLINSON’.

Three children born:
  • Thomas Baker TOMLINSON (born 1863, Ecclesall, died August 1901)
  • Agnes Hannah TOMLINSON (born 1866, Norton Woodseats, Derbyshire)
  • Nellie Smithson TOMLINSON (born 1874, Ecclesall)

14 September 1863, Willoughton, Lincolnshire - Elizabeth CLAYTON married George MUMBY

Stamford Mercury 25 September 1863 - “David CLAYTON, who left Wrawby, in the county of Lincoln, about Nine Years ago, if living, is requested to communicate with me. Information respecting his being alive or dead is solicited from others. FREDK. M. BURTON, Solicitor, Gainsborough 11th September, 1863."

Newspapers: September 1864 (Elizabeth MUMBY, bastardy case), July 1865 (David CLAYTON, bigamy case)

1871 census - Marsh House, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield, Yorkshire - born ‘Roby, Lincolnshire’, married, aged 39
1881 census - The Gate Inn, Eckington, Derbyshire, England, widower, aged 40

Possibly buried 22 Dec 1884, aged 53 at Ecclesall All Saints, Sheffield.

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much rover72 for giving the background to this story. It sounds as if David/George reckoned the outskirts of Sheffield were far enough away from Wrawby to make a new start, which seems rather optimistic given the number of yellowbellies making their way there in the 1860s.

I’ve always found your Lincolnshire posts interesting and remember being prompted to find out more about the Primitive Methodists in Gainsborough as a result.

Helen