Author Topic: Hollywood to England  (Read 2091 times)

Offline lengramar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hollywood to England
« on: Friday 15 April 05 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone help, I have an ancestor by the Name of James Hollywood who was born in Ireland about 1860. The earliest I can see him appearing in England is on the 1891 census. Is there any way that I can trace him actually coming into the UK and where he was born in Ireland?

Regards

Graham

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Hollywood to England
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 05 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Graham,

You may be able to trace where your ancestor was born in Ireland.  In 1891 the United Kingdom consisted of the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland so you will not be able to trace his movement from the island of Ireland to the island of Great Britain.

These two sites should be of some help in the search for your ancestor.
http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm Surname Search
Griffiths Valuation - Armagh 1864  http://www.failteromhat.com/armagh.htm

The surname search reveals that at the time of the Valuations there were many families by the name of Hollywood in Co. Armagh. The name appeared in several other areas in Ireland at that time but not in such a large number.

If you know of any Christian names that run through the family from James that might help to make the search somewhat easier. On the assumption that James was named after his father the parishes in Co. Armagh where there was a James as the head of the household are - Creggan, Drumcree, Forkhill and Newry. The name also appears in the following parishes in which there was not a James as the head of the household - Killevy, Lisnadill, Newtownhamilton and Seagoe.

Best Wishes - Christopher

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 05 10:17 BST (UK) »
Bearing in mind what Christopher has found about the appearances of the 'Hollywood' surname in Armagh, as well as in numerous other years, there was a James Hollywood born in the county in 1862, 1863,1869. One of these could possibly be your James as the timescale is right. You can try and find out more by contacting:

Armagh Ancestry
38a English Street, BT61 7BA,
Armagh ,
Co. Armagh.
Phone : (+44) (0) 28 3752 1802 
Fax : (+44) (0) 28 3751 0180

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 05 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Graham,

Do you know which branch of the Christian faith was followed by the Hollwood family ?
I've no objection to people using professional genealogists. At this stage I can see little point going that road. It should be possible for an amateur who is prepared to devote a bit of time to the matter to obtain more information about James.

Best Wishes - Christopher

Offline lengramar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for your suggestions I will give them a try.

Regards

Graham

Offline jhollywood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 June 05 23:27 BST (UK) »
My name is James Hollywood(b:1948) and so was my father.  He was born in 1920 in New York.  His father was Francis who had a brother James Hollywood.  He would have been my great-uncle.  I think he would have been born about the same time as you are looking for. 

He was killed during the last few days of WW1 in the battle of the Argonne forest (so I have been told), and is still buried in France.  If any of this is close to your research, let me know.

James Hollywood Jr.

Offline lengramar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 05 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for your message it was very interesting, however at this stage my research has not revealed any connection to the USA. The James Hollywood that I am trying to trace according to the census of 1881 was born in Ireland, I do not know any details of his parents though. I am able to find entries for James on the 1891 and 1901 census in Manchester but they only show him born in Ireland. If you have any suggestions as to where I could try next they would be appreciated.

Regards

Graham

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 June 05 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would suggest looking for other Hollywood families in the same area in England and tracing them through the later censuses for at least a county clue. Alternatively you could check the Griffiths Valuation for where they hung out then.
http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm
Mostly Armagh, Dublin and Tyrone

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline lengramar

• RootsChat Member