Author Topic: JSTOR  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
JSTOR
« on: Sunday 09 January 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if an ordinary person from the UK with no access to the site through an Institution (me) can purchase  an article to download?

There is one I am keen to read but when I try to enter my details it takes a dislike to me and just shouts ERROR!

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Daisyroot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: JSTOR
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 11 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carole,
I'm not sure about that but i  have access to the site if you would like me to download anything for you?
Flo'
All census information is Crown Copyright and from  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/<br /><br />

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 11 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I have access to JSTOR because I joined the National Library of Scotland online, you have to have an address in Scotland to join the NLS but I imagine there are other libraries offering this service if you live in another area, it's well worth investigating  :)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 11 22:16 GMT (UK) »
There is access at the National Archives at Kew

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I have access to JSTOR because I joined the National Library of Scotland online, you have to have an address in Scotland to join the NLS but I imagine there are other libraries offering this service if you live in another area, it's well worth investigating  :)

Yet another reason to move to  civilized (and beautiful) Scotland! I'm afraid Kent only offers the bare minimum in online library services  :(

I still don't understand why I can't purchase an article when the site says I can - I was even (well not "willing") but prepared to pay the $14 they asked  ???

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 10:25 GMT (UK) »
I did find a way of getting a free log in a year or two ago

Not sure I can remember now
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I checked out the Manchester and Lancashire library services which allow access to various references sources online, such as old newspapers, whatever your address in the uk unfortunately they don't appear to subscribe to JSTOR.

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm very grateful to Lancashire Libraries for already allowing me access to many sites that I can't access locally as it is - I can't really expect Lancashire council tax payers to fund my  access to JSTOR as well  ;D

Carole

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes I do still have a log in - can't remember where I got that
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com