Author Topic: Mary Duffy (Bachelors Walk 1914)  (Read 12654 times)

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Duffy (Bachelors Walk 1914)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 June 12 14:30 BST (UK) »
I am also related to the duffys. My grandfather was William Duffy his mother was a Mary Duffy not to sure if it the same Mary as yours mind u. He was in the Royal dublin fusiliers in 1914 his father was Thomas Duffy .

Offline phil na heireann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 August 12 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

A few details on Liffeylander's Jan 9th'11 post re:    Mary Duffy  /  Elizabeth Tighe (nee O' Brien)   /   and Thomas Tighe.

Paragraph 4 :  Details required linking Mary Duffy to the O' Brien family and also Willis - the purchaser of the grave.
Ok, here goes,

It's seems from the following that Mary and Elizabeth were sisters - both formerly O' Brien's and Thomas was very possibly Elizabeth's son. Check this out;

Mary and Owen's marriage cert on 24 Feb 1900 state Mary's parents as Daniel O' Brien and Mary A. Willis. [ Shane 147 reply #16 17th July'12,19:54pm ] http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/a888180061602

Searching these names displays the following as their children;

Maria O' Brien,                                                             
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/9621b20103375

Eliza o' Brien + Catherine O' Brien http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qg9/

So, Willis's daughter didn't marry an O' Brien - Willis's daughters WERE  O'Brien's!

I haven't come across a marriage cert for Elizabeth O' Brien and a Tighe but I searched for a 33 year old  Elizabeth Tighe in the 1901 census and I came across one married to Francis Tighe at 14.1 Gloucester Place.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/North_Dock/Gloucester_Place/1275059/

This couple had a son called Thomas who's very close in age to the Thomas Tighe in Liffey St with Mary Duffy (nee O'Brien).
Veteran Rootschatters please give me your thoughts on this and confirm if you can.

If this is the case, it's entirely natural that Thomas would have spent time with his Aunt Mary in Liffey Street. The census enumerator must log into the census who's in the dwelling at the moment they call,-whether you live there or not.
 The 1911 census shows two extra mouths to feed for the Tighe family (Jane and Patrick) and also a change of address to 4.2 Fitzgibbon Lane. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rotunda/Fitzgibbon_Lane/31212/
Although Thomas's name is still down as residing with Elizabeth, it's plausible that he moved out to ease the burden, over to Liffey Street to his Aunt - Mary Duffy.

Also, if this is the Thomas Tighe in question, this means that the Irish Independent on 29th July 1914 was incorrect when it stated that Mary Duffy had a SON and a nephew in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (5th Battalion). It means Mary would have had 2 nephews in the RDF,-
(1) Thomas Tighe
(2) William Duffy, son of Thomas Duffy who was the brother of Owen Duffy - Mary's husband.

Hope this Thomas is our man as I'm losing brain-cells trying to piece this puzzle together!
Many thanks to the veteran rootschatters for their fantastic contributions so far.

Phil na Heireann.

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 August 12 16:20 BST (UK) »
itsa bit akward init, i got the local paper from libary today about thomas tighes letter to the irish indo on 29th july 1914 very intresting,, thomas states that mary duffy was his mother in it,

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 August 12 16:21 BST (UK) »
is there away of finding out what hapend to thomas durning ww1 ?

Offline phil na heireann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 August 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Will 1890

Yes that's correct, I read that article in question.
Given that the 1911 census states that Thomas was Mary's nephew it is absolutely baffling that Thomas referred to Mary as his Mother in this article.
The records seem to suggest he was Elizabeth's son.
If Mary's sister Elizabeth is the same Elizabeth I mentioned previously - that Elizabeth had seven children in 1911 (see census), while Mary only had one child.
I'm now wondering did Mary adopt Thomas to ease the burden on Elizabeth.
I know for a fact this was common-place at the time due to the hardships involved for people living in the tenements.

Offline GurkhaJohn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 December 13 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My first time here too  :)

My Grandmothers father, Patrick Quinn was also one of the victims.

I have quite a bit of information on the shootings but am now trying to get more information on him.

I see a mention of someone visiting his grave recently (you?) and wonder if it is also in Glasnevin?

Regards

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 December 13 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,

A few details on Liffeylander's Jan 9th'11 post re:    Mary Duffy  /  Elizabeth Tighe (nee O' Brien)   /   and Thomas Tighe.

Paragraph 4 :  Details required linking Mary Duffy to the O' Brien family and also Willis - the purchaser of the grave.
Ok, here goes,

It's seems from the following that Mary and Elizabeth were sisters - both formerly O' Brien's and Thomas was very possibly Elizabeth's son. Check this out;

Mary and Owen's marriage cert on 24 Feb 1900 state Mary's parents as Daniel O' Brien and Mary A. Willis. [ Shane 147 reply #16 17th July'12,19:54pm ] http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/a888180061602

Searching these names displays the following as their children;

Maria O' Brien,                                                             
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/9621b20103375

Eliza o' Brien + Catherine O' Brien http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qg9/

So, Willis's daughter didn't marry an O' Brien - Willis's daughters WERE  O'Brien's!

I haven't come across a marriage cert for Elizabeth O' Brien and a Tighe but I searched for a 33 year old  Elizabeth Tighe in the 1901 census and I came across one married to Francis Tighe at 14.1 Gloucester Place.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/North_Dock/Gloucester_Place/1275059/

This couple had a son called Thomas who's very close in age to the Thomas Tighe in Liffey St with Mary Duffy (nee O'Brien).
Veteran Rootschatters please give me your thoughts on this and confirm if you can.

If this is the case, it's entirely natural that Thomas would have spent time with his Aunt Mary in Liffey Street. The census enumerator must log into the census who's in the dwelling at the moment they call,-whether you live there or not.
 The 1911 census shows two extra mouths to feed for the Tighe family (Jane and Patrick) and also a change of address to 4.2 Fitzgibbon Lane. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rotunda/Fitzgibbon_Lane/31212/
Although Thomas's name is still down as residing with Elizabeth, it's plausible that he moved out to ease the burden, over to Liffey Street to his Aunt - Mary Duffy.

Also, if this is the Thomas Tighe in question, this means that the Irish Independent on 29th July 1914 was incorrect when it stated that Mary Duffy had a SON and a nephew in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (5th Battalion). It means Mary would have had 2 nephews in the RDF,-
(1) Thomas Tighe
(2) William Duffy, son of Thomas Duffy who was the brother of Owen Duffy - Mary's husband.

Hope this Thomas is our man as I'm losing brain-cells trying to piece this puzzle together!
Many thanks to the veteran rootschatters for their fantastic contributions so far.

Phil na Heireann.
If anyone still interested Mary Had 2 sons in R.D.F one was from her first marriage the other's name was William, both carried her coffin at funeral..I can put anyone who is interested in contact with a family member who is a historian with good insight into the family.

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 01:59 GMT (UK) »
hi grizzly1 my grandfather was William duffy ,,,,,,,, as far as I know mary duffy who was killed was his aunt not his mother she was married to his uncle owen duffy?

Offline Jlenny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 November 19 15:28 GMT (UK) »
hi my first post here . I too am a great grandaughter of Mary duffy. My Mother * duffy is the daughter of the young owen duffy. She has just turned 80yrs old we had a great chat about it . But my mother was told a different story.We were told the mary duffy of 1914 was helping a wounded person and was then shot herself. My mother had got the original newspaper clipping she showed me yrs ago. But has now lost it/mislaid it around the house.My mother had a brother called owen which would make him owen duffy the third but died in childhood.its facinating to find out the history.  sorry but we dont recall anyone with the name tighe or obrien.

Moderator Note : Some details of living person removed as per RootsChat privacy policy
hi it’s time here , I have a Owen Joseph Duffy married to a Myra Duffy but can’t seem to find anymore info . Thanks