Author Topic: INDIA: 10th Infantry, Bangalore - Patrick Tighe  (Read 2068 times)

Offline liffeylander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
INDIA: 10th Infantry, Bangalore - Patrick Tighe
« on: Sunday 09 January 11 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I hope I've found the right section to post this in!

My great great grandfather William Tighe was born on 17 October 1865 in Bangalore.  His father Patrick Tighe (b. Roscommon, Ireland, c. 1841) was, according to the family, in the 10th Infantry regiment, but after a quick web search, I'm none the wiser as to which regiment this actually refers to. 

I have also found a death cert for an Agnes Tighe on 25 November 1868 in Bangalore - this appears to be a sister of William.  I know that William's mother Sarah (maiden name Cameron, we think she was Scottish) died young, probably in childbirth, so perhaps it was at this time - there are no records that I can find. 

Patrick Tighe and his son returned to Ireland relatively quickly, as Patrick married a woman from Co. Wicklow when William was still relatively young.  I have no clue as to how to find Patrick's military records, or indeed any details about Sarah Cameron, her life or death.  Would anybody have any ideas?  The family presumes that Patrick and Sarah met while in India.  I don't have any idea of his rank in the army, but given the fact that later Irish census records list him as illiterate, I shouldn't imagine he had much authority.